The Date

The path to Havenfield was lit with jars of moonlight, and glowing algae that smelt a little like feet. Flickerwings fluttered about the plants and around Sophie as she walked along the path guided by the light. The light led her to Calla's tree, the breathtaking form she had decided to take to save her people and countless others. Fitz, in a dashing vest and dress pants with a brown tie, stood underneath the pink petals, waiting for her.

Sophie couldn't help but smile. It was finally happening. When she first saw Fitz, she would never think in her wildest dreams that she'd be standing in front of him the way she was now.

Hello Fitz, she transmitted, unsure that her mouth would be able to form words correctly.

He grinned. Hello Sophie. Cat got your tongue?

Sophie blushed, yet nodded all the same.

Come on, I haven't changed since yesterday. We're still friends, cognates....

Sophie let out a little laugh. Sorry, I'm just a little nervous.

He gave her a sly smile. Ah, because of that thing you won't tell me about... well, if you can't talk yet, why don't we start with dinner? He gestured to the table underneath the tree, set with lit candles, and two plates of spaghetti.

You got human food? Sophie asked, a little surprised. She hadn't expected Fitz to go out of his way to learn human customs, or to even get human delicacies.

There's a lot more where that came from. Fitz said as he set a basket of breadsticks on top of the table.

Sophie smiled. This date was already perfect.

However, spaghetti proved to be a difficult food to eat with proper manners. It was long and messy, and Sophie felt a little piece of her die inside when a saucy noodle fell onto her dress. Although it seemed like Fitz was having just as many problems - Sophie laughed when he smeared tomato sauce onto his cheeks.

You missed a spot, Sophie transmitted.

Fitz raised an eyebrow playfully. Did I? Gosh, this is so embarrassing.

You're fine, it's just as embarrassing for me, Sophie responded. Here. She sent him a picture of what his face looked like so he knew where to wipe off the sauce.

Wow, that looks really bad, Fitz thought. I'm surprised you're still here.

Sophie laughed. "There's nothing you could do that would make me run away."

"Ah, so we're finally onto talking out loud," Fitz smiled. "And I think I may change your mind on that after tonight."

"Are you kidding?" Sophie said. "Not even becoming a member of the Neverseen would make me give up on you."

"Yeah, I've noticed," Fitz said. "But what about this?"

Fitz lifted a heavy, metal box onto the table. It took Sophie a second to recognize what it was.

"Is that a boombox?" Sophie asked in disbelief.

"Scared away yet?" Fitz asked.

"Quite the opposite, actually," Sophie said.

Fitz hit the play button, and one of Sophie's old, favorite human songs began to play - Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars. 

"How did you know?" Sophie asked.

Fitz grinned. "I may have asked Dex to get a song or two from your human music player."

"How romantic," Sophie joked.