Chapter 1

The carriage rattled as it climbed the old bridge Sophia Anne Belmont once called a horseshoe because it was bent like one. The horses huffed as they reached the top and she prepared herself for the exhilarating feeling of the wind against her face and the sudden lurching of her stomach as it goes down. The overpowering feeling of happiness turned to disappointment and the light brightening her face, almost as if she were back to her old self, darkened when she remembered two things. One, the windows were closed so she can’t feel the wind outside, and two, she can’t allow a little piece of joy ruin her façade when in just a few days, her life will be thrown into the darkest pit of misery, sorrow and hatred. Quite opposite, she supposed, to what her father was telling her (and she’s quite sure that he believed it himself) about marrying a stranger coming from a family like her own: Decent, well-known and rich. He rambles day and night about his good qualities, his remarkable manners, and how happy her life will be with him. When she reminded him about her age, he just laughed and pointed out that he too, was sixteen years old. As if this could make her feel any better. Well, it did actually, she guiltily admitted to herself. Might as well spend her eternity of doom with someone her age rather than with someone old enough to be called her father. She can’t even imagine what her life will be. The sudden halt of the carriage brought her back to reality. There was a moment of silence followed by the quite voice of her mother from the other side of the carriage.

          “Don’t argue with your father tonight, young lady,” she said. Sophia met her gaze.

          “I don’t think I can handle another disagreement, mother,” she replied, her voice muted, controlled.

          “That’s what I thought,” her mother said. “Because no matter how hard you reason with him, he will always be right.”

           In spite of the many layers of cloth she was wearing, cold crept into her spine and she can feel the chills climbing unto her neck. She breathed a sigh of desperation, her heart as heavy and cold as stone. Suddenly, the carriage door opened and out came her mother. She followed unwillingly, hating every step that will lead her to her father which she now considered her enemy, when once upon a time, he was her best friend.

           Being married to someone he barely knew wasn’t part of Stephen Hartwell’s plan. Even though he had known it since he was a child, the idea seemed preposterous. It hadn’t crossed his mind until his father told him that it was time to meet his bride-to-be, a stranger he only knew by name. Sophia Anne Belmont. What is she like? He wondered. What does she do in her spare time? He thought about riding his favorite horse which always lifted his spirits. He just shrugged and brushed his hand against his tousled blond hair, as if to clear his head. He chuckled darkly, realizing that in two years time, he will be a married man and he doesn’t know a thing about raising a family. Maybe it’s because money was never a problem to his family, so he relied on to his parents, and with all their servants? His life was as easy and comfortable as breathing. But he knew then that it was time to be responsible, especially in running their business. His father was not getting any younger, and perhaps, it was time to grow up and think like a man. Gazing out the window of his bedroom, he looked at the expanse of land he will someday own, wondering what she was thinking.

          Sophia squinted in the shadows, the lamp illuminating her face. She knew that she wasn’t allowed outside of her bedroom in this time of night but after skipping dinner, she can’t blame her stomach for growling her awake. She wasn’t afraid of the dark, but with only the faint light of the lamp she was holding to keep her company, she can’t help herself from running, which was hard since she had to do it quietly. When she passed by her parents’ bedroom, she heard muffled voices coming from the door. She stopped dead and felt her heart jump out of her chest. Hunger gave way to curiosity. Breathing heavily, she placed her right ear against the door to listen, her hand holding the lamp shaking.