Chapter 2

It was almost midnight when a knock woke her up. She rolled over, feeling the dampness of her pillow caused by her tears. She wiped some now out of her eyes as soon as they started falling again. Another knock. This time more persistent. But she was, however, more stubborn. She closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep just as the door opened, revealing her mother in a silver nightgown with her strawberry blond hair pulled down just below her shoulders. She walked silently, her nightgown flowing like a river reflecting the full moon. She reached the bed and sat next to Sophia, her lips almost pulling up in a smile.

             “You know I can always tell when you’re faking sleep.” She said gently. “You used to do that when you’re little. Always preferred reading to sleeping, such a stubborn child you are.” She laughed, making the bed shake a little.

             Sophia opened her eyes. “I am not,”

             “You’re not helping yourself, dear.” Her mother pointed out. They both laughed at that.

             “You know,” her mother said after a while, “Your habit of skipping dinner worries me.”

             “I’m simply not hungry.” She answered.

             Her mother shook her head. “I don’t believe you.”

             “You always don’t, Mother.” Sophia said, closing her eyes. “It seems like everything I say is either a lie or not good enough for both of you.”

             “You know that’s not true,” her mother insisted.

             “It feels like it.” She shrugged. “I’m tired of pushing myself to you when you’re always running away whenever I get too close.”

              Pain flashed on her mother’s face. She rubbed her shoulders and sniffed. “We just want what’s best for you, Sophia. And what’s best is for you to marry Stephen. Tell me, who would you rather marry?”

             “Not him, surely!” She answered. “And not while I’m still young.” Her voice almost broke.

             “But you have two years to get to know him,” she said. “That’s more than enough time.”

             “Mother, please.” She pleaded. “Just please.”

             “No one wants you to be happier than I do, child. But I can’t change your father’s mind, nor can I let you suffer the humiliation this family will have if we will get back on our word.”

             “So you’re afraid for our dignity?” she said stiffly, turning her back to her mother.

             “It’s more than that. We want you to have a bright future. That you have someone to make you happy and safe when the time comes were not capable of doing it ourselves.”

             “By making me unhappy now?” she said, shaking her head.

             “No. You are doing it to yourself. Just try knowing him. The real him, because I know that there is something in him that you’ll love someday.”

             “You can’t possibly know that.” She said curtly, covering her face with a blanket. “Go away, Mother,” she continued, her voice muffled. “I think I’ve had enough.”

             “Okay.” Her mother kissed her forehead over the blanket and walked swiftly out the room, leaving Sophia all alone and feeling miserable.