6 despondent

H I , -
- J.

Cassandra could feel her eyes droop in sorrow as she typed this.

So... I'm in the hospital. I fainted due to a headache or something, but I feel much better now, thank goodness. At least my nose doesn't feel blocked anymore, and my headache kinda subsided, but it's still there.

Her hands shook as she typed the next few sentences.

I've been wondering, but how have you been? Are you feeling okay? Doctor Wesley told me that people in the state of comatose can still hear people talking. What does it feel like — not being able to do anything? Do you miss me?

Cassandra sighed and threw her phone on the bed, the hospital sheets dipping slightly from the weight of the phone. The serene night was accompanied by the occasional cricket noises, and the moonlight was casting shadows onto the tiled floor. The girl sat up anxiously and glanced at the door. Doctor Wesley mentioned that he would be coming at six, yet he never showed up, causing her stay in the hospital to extend longer than necessary.

She could have asked for help from the nurses, and sometimes, her hand would hesitantly hover over the button, yet she never attempted to press it. Deep in her heart, she knew that she didn't want to leave so soon, especially when the doctor had kindly placed her in the bed next to his.

"Jacob..." she whispered, forcing down a lump that seemed to have traitorously formed in her throat.

The light shone onto Jacob's body, forming a halo around it. It seemed like he was glowing.

Like an angel that was sent from heaven.

Cassandra gazed wistfully at the body, enchanted. But no matter how mesmerized she might feel, it felt like Jacob was never going to come back.

As expected, the messages remained unread, but she wished...

...She wished that one day her messages would be read.