The Music Connection

It had been a week since the workshop and since I met Nikhil.  I had been wondering the whole week, I should say hoping, that he would text me. I mean, I know I could have but could I? I don't know. I don't know what it would mean to text first. So I patiently waited. I waited for one whole week and then an idea clicked in my head. I had recently heard the song Time is Running out by Muse and what better way to start a conversation than that!

With that idea in my mind, I picked up my phone, looked through the contacts.

Nikhil

I tapped on his name and started typing a text message.

Hey! I just heard this amazing song by a band called Muse. It's called Time is Running Out. You should check it out.

And then I pressed the sent button. 3.44pm I had sent that text. It was 3.45 now.

Okayyyyyy maybe he was busy or something. Or maybe he just doesn't want to talk to you which is why he hasn't texted you all week, said the annoying voice in my head.

Ughhh 3.47!

Why. Couldn't. People. Just. Reply?!

Maybe I should let it be for a while...

Then, I threw my phone on the bed and went out to watch some TV since I had very little homework to do today. As if I'd finish that before midnight.

Wait no, I should finish it before midnight. Someone should already give me a crown for being the queen of procrastination.

After 20 minutes of flipping through the channels and trying to watch two minutes of stupid in-law drama, I switched off the TV and went into my room. Maybe I should just read for a little bit and start working on my stupid home-work.

Just as I was taking out a good book to read from my bookshelf, I heard a beep from my phone. I ignored it at first because if it was him, I wanted him to wait for a while before I replied because he had made me wait a week and then didn't even reply on time when I texted him. NOT FAIR.

So, after 10 minutes of re-reading the same page without registering anything I closed my book in annoyance and picked up the phone.

1 text message from Nikhil.

When I opened the message it said:

Hey! How have you been? I saw your message only ten minutes ago, I had football practice, sorry. And I just heard the song. It. Is. Amazing! Thank you for telling me about it!

So, he wasn't ignoring me... but he didn't text me all week?

So then I started writing my own reply

I've been good. What about you?

And Send.

This went on for a while. Half an hour maybe? So when I very subtly asked him why hadn't he texted all week, he said he didn't want to come off as a creepy dude. Which makes sense but still....

In that half an hour, we talked about music, musicians and our lives in general. His school, his friends and my school and my friends.

When mom came home, my room was a mess. And when I say my room was a mess I mostly refer to my study table and the bed which is almost always scattered with books becuase that is how I work. She walked in and saw the mess and said " would you PLEASE clean this mess?"

To which I said " I'll clean it up when I'm done working."

And instead of replying, she just started putting my books onto the shelves and that got me a bit mad so I said "Mom, those books do not go into that shelf. I'll do it on my own in a little bit PLEASE STOP."

That sort of led to a tiny argument which wasn't THAT heated but we had been having these arguments about doing things and I always had this one question. Why couldn't she just let it be for a while?

It is very annoying to be in a stage of life where you're expected to do certain things because you're old enough but you're not old enough to speak your mind or do certain things because you've been told not to. Really, it is so confusing at times that I once made a list of things I should be doing and shouldn't be doing at this age. And then I tore it up because the items in the list kept changing.

As I was lying on my bed, with my phone in my hand, I read our chat. I smiled a little.

And then I heard my parents door open and I quickly put the phone down because I knew I'd get a really bad scolding for having it in my hand at 11 in the night. As mom walked in, I pretended to be asleep. She saw me with my eyes closed, walked out and then closed the door.

I picked up my phone, plugged in my earphones and listened to Time is Running out on repeat till I was sleepy. It was because of this song that we had actually started talking. Guess the music connection was working out quite well.

A/N

SO, another update. I'm just letting you know that things are going to get spiced up a bit. And I'm not just referring to Nikhil. ;)

I've attached the link to the song. You should listen to it if you haven't already heard it. Muse is a brilliant band!

Would love to see some comments and it'd be great if you could vote!

Next update will be sometime during the weekend.