Part 3

5th February, 2016

Alyssa Morgan

University of Queensland

St Lucia

QLD 4072

Lissy,

I've decided to write a letter to you, instead of texting or emailing, because in my opinion, letters are lasting things and can be looked over later on in life along with memories, like unfolding flowers pressed within a book. (That's the linguist in me – I'm in love with metaphors and similes at the moment). Not to mention that letter writing is a dying art-form, my friend! (There's also the fact that my phone data is running low and I can't afford to go over my plan again.)

Well, I've settled in to university life. I've had about four days to get used to it and even now, I'm still marvelling at how different university is to high school. For one thing, I don't have to study any subjects that I don't like! It's all languages and linguistics – and later on, my postgraduate education degree J

I've made a few new friends. There's a girl in my compulsory Linguistics class called Olivia Wilson, who's asked me to call her Liv. There's also a guy in my Intermediate Italian class named Dan, who introduced me to his twin sister, Kayla (she's studying Law). I'm also still working at the cinema, so I talk to Jess on a regular basis (he and Emil are still going strong) but I've been working there for nearly a year and a half now, so I'm looking around for a new job.

I think I'm okay here. Mum and Dad are really busy with Jackson – he's turning ten in a few months and I think they're trying to plan his birthday party to his exacting specifications: in other words, incorporating adventure, action and death-defying stunts (he's in his 'I am invincible' phase at the moment, as you probably guessed).

How are the triplets? Aren't they turning one in a few weeks? Send more pictures to me! J Missing you and Thomas lots.

I hope you're doing all right.

Lots of love,

Grace xx

6th February, 2016

Grace Phillips

3 Prewett Street

Upper Coomera

QLD 4209

Grace,

You're right, letter-writing is going out of style and besides, it'd be weird and rude to send you a text in reply when you took the time to write me a letter.

I've settled in too and I miss you heaps. I'm living on campus at UQ at the moment and my roommates name is Eliza Langford. Eliza's studying medicine too, which is handy, because we can study together when finals come around. Our residential is pretty small. It has four different rooms: the tiny bedroom we share, a small kitchen, an even smaller living room and a bathroom that we also share. (I'll send photos soon).

I've made no other friends yet apart from Eliza, but I'm hopeful. Eliza's really nice and we go out for coffee in the mornings, but she has a boyfriend, which basically means she's out almost every night. Her boyfriend's name is Sam and he's studying Law. (They'll be a rich couple, huh? A doctor and a lawyer).

Anyway, have you heard from Thomas lately? I tried calling him on Wednesday last week, but I think he was busy moving into his residential at QUT. Maybe try writing him a letter?

Missing you lots,

Alyssa xo

8th February, 2016