Time For Dinner

I’m not the best of storytellers. Could I even call myself one? Would I even call myself one? Life is so full of questions, both little and big. I can still remember how I would ask tons of questions when I was young but there was one I will never forget the answer to.

   “Why are those people kissing, daddy?” I asked my father.

   “Well, son. It’s because they love each other.” my father replied.

  “But I don’t see you and mummy kissing, don’t you love each other? Don’t you love mummy, daddy?”

   “I loved her the day we met, the day we became friends. I just didn’t realise it yet. It took me a while but I realised it eventually. Love is not only defined by kisses or even hugs for that matter. It’s defined by how much the other person would do to keep you going.” said my father as he glared across the lake.

I didn't understand much of what he said at that time. To be honest, I wasn't interested in what he had to say about love and other 'adult stuff'. Later that day, after sitting by the lake on a bench for a whole afternoon, my father and I made our way home. We had a scrumptious home cooked dinner that my mother spent time cooking. They kissed me goodnight and I headed for bed. It was one of our family-time Sundays. Little did I expect what was coming next.