Chapter 4

~Here's our new group!~

It was morning, and the sun was shining. It looked like it was going to be a good day, but the day started out poorly, thanks to the car horn and the idiot who started it.
I knew that my car wasn't the source of the horn, thankfully, but dead ones from all around the area were coming. I grabbed my backpack and was about to get out of the car when in the rearview mirror, I saw a large herd of them heading in the direction of the horn. I unsheathed my Ka-Bar knife and lied back down, letting the dead ones go by.
I peeked out of the window and saw that most of the dead ones were gone, but there were still a few left, about ten or so. I ducked back down and waited. The horn finally stopped fortunately, but whoever had caused it was in trouble. I glanced out of the window again. There were about four outside now.
I quickly got out of the car and took out the four before following the herd until I came upon a gas station with a black car parked in front. I stopped following the herd and watched the scene from a distance. There was a man in his middle ages backing up against the windows of the gas station and shooting a gun at the herd. The ones in the front fell to the ground, but it was no use, as the other dead ones filled in their spots. They quickly surrounded the man and mauled him to death. Agonizing screams came from the bottom of the pile of bodies for a few seconds, but it stopped abruptly. I knew that he was gone. He was already dead from the moment the car horn sounded. I couldn't have helped him. I would've been a goner if I tried.
The sound of the dead ones snarling and flesh and internal organs being ripped apart and munched on filled the air. A few minutes passed, and they dispersed, leaving the gruesome, brutal remains of the man. I killed the dead ones that came in my direction, which wasn't a ton, but enough to keep me occupied, before going over to the gas station and checking out the corpse. There wasn't much left of the man. He was basically just blood and bones on the sidewalk. The windows and the gas station's brick walls were splattered with blood.
"I'm sorry this happened to you, sir," I muttered. I got up from the corpse slowly. I suddenly got a feeling that I was being watched. I pulled out my gun and turned around. "Come out with your hands in the air! I know you're there, and I will not hesitate to shoot!"
Slowly, a small group of four survivors came out from behind a dumpster with their hands in the air. There was a man, two teenage guys, and one girl.
"Drop all of your weapons!" I commanded.
They obeyed and slowly put their guns and knives on the ground before them. That was easy. Usually the people I come upon make more of a fight.
"What are you going to do to us?" the girl asked, her voice quivering. She looked like she was around ten or eleven years old. She had medium brown hair, brown eyes, and beige skin.
"Who are you all?" I demanded, not lowering my gun. "What are you doing here?"
"We heard the car horn about a block away, like you probably did, and came to investigate and find out where it was coming from. I swear!" one of the teenage guys explained. He looked like he was about my age. "We don't mean any harm!" He had dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, and beige skin.
I stared at the small group for a moment and then lowered my gun, much to their relief. I holstered my Beretta, but I kept my hand near it or my knife and kukri. "Alright. I trust you, for now."
"What's your name?" the other teenage guy asked. He looked like he was sixteen. He had dark brown hair, beige skin, and brown eyes.
"You first," I said.
The man looked at me and then at the two teenagers and the girl. He had light brown hair that was starting to gray, beige skin, and hazel eyes. "My name is William. He's Dylan, he's Evan, and she's Kelsey." He gestured to each of them as he spoke.
The guy with the blue eyes and dirty blonde hair was Evan, and the one with the dark brown hair and brown eyes was Dylan.
"What about you?" Evan asked. "What's your name?"
"Hayley," I replied, bluntly.
"Well, Hayley, do you have a group?" William asked.
I shook my head. "No. I'm out here by myself."
"How long have you been by yourself?"
"A few months."
Out of nowhere, a dead one came shambling toward us. The small group panicked scrambled to pick up their weapons, but I quickly unsheathed my kukri, calmly walked over to it, and put it down easily.
They obviously weren't as ready to survive in this world as I was. They completely panicked in the sight of just one. I couldn't imagine how they would react if they saw a whole herd. If they wanted me in their group I should say no but part of me wants to help. After all, they probably wouldn't be any help, just be a liability that I would have to put down in the end. They're already dead, but if I taught them to survive, they could have a better chance of survival.
"Would you like to be in our group?" Evan asked.
"Please. Join our group!" Kelsey pleaded.
I sighed. "Alright. This is what I'll do. I'll teach you all to survive and fight the dead ones, but after that, I'm gone."
William, seeing that there wasn't much he could do to change my decision, agreed. "Alright, Hayley, you got yourself a deal."