Pre-War (Chapter 1 - 10) War Series Novella

The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is a crime punishable by law. No part of this book may be scanned, uploaded to, or downloaded from file sharing sites or distributed in any other way via the internet or any other means, electronic or print, without the publisher's permission. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.

All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in, or introduced into a retrieval system or transmitted, in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise), without the prior permission of Stevie J. Cole and LP Lovell.

Pre-WarThe War Series 0.5Stevie J Cole and LP Lovell writing as NicoleLynne

Dedicated to Jen. We love you. Thank you for all you do!

Prologue

I sit down underneath a tree and pull a piece of bubblegum from my pocket, checking to make sure the teachers don't see me when I shove it inside my mouth. I watch the other kids play and a group of girls walk by and giggle. I think they're laughing at me. No one wants to play with me, maybe, because they think I talk funny. All everyone's done is stare at me when I talk. I guess most of them have never met an American before...

It doesn't matter though. I hate it here in Ireland.

I didn't want to move here. I didn't want to leave my friends, but Daddy said he needed help taking care of me. I wish my mommy was still here to take care of me. I pick a dandelion and twirl it between my fingers. Momma loved it when I picked these for here. She was pretty. I miss how she used to always sing songs in the morning when she made me biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. Sighing, I look up at the sky, wondering what it's like in heaven. I bet she has wings now, sitting up there with Jesus. I fight back the tears because if the other kids see me crying, they'll just laugh at me even more.

A rock skips in front of me, rolling to a stop by my sneaker. I sniff back my tears and glance up. The blond boy from class—the one the other kids were calling "fatso" this morning—is standing in front of me with his hands shoved deep inside his pockets, and he's dragging the toe of his shoe across the ground. "Wanna play pogs?" he asks.

I look back down at my dandelion. "What are pogs?"

"It's a game."

I shrug and blow a bubble with my gum.

"I'm Connor."

"I'm Poppy." I smile because he's nice.

Another boy runs up beside Connor. His brown hair is messy. I know the two of them are friends, and this one has already gotten in trouble this morning for spitting on the floor. "You're not allowed gum in school." He scowls at me.

Connor punches him in the arm. "Leave her alone, Bran."

I stand up, take my gum out of my mouth, and hold my hand out to the Connor. "You can have my gum..." He stares at it and I shrug. "But you have to put it behind your ear for later." I tuck it behind his ear.

The other boy scrunches his face up and pretends to throw up. Connor shoves him. "Shut up, Bran."

"Bran?" I say. "Like Bran Flakes?"