Tuesday

Matty and Jesse are huddled up on the sofa, as close as they can be when Matty has a blanket around his shoulders like a cape and a duvet tucked underneath him and up to his chin. He refuses to let Jesse underneath the duvet with him, claiming he doesn't want to let the heat out, and even Jesse's best efforts at telling him that it's warmer to share body heat won't persuade the older man to let him under.

So, Jesse has his back leaning against Matty's left shoulder and his legs draped over the arm of the sofa. He's been reaching his left arm up to stroke through Matty's hair for a good ten minutes now, and he's starting to get cramp from the position, but the way Matty pushes his head back down against his fingers whenever Jesse tries to retreat for a break has him forcing his arm to stay up, fingers dancing against Matty's scalp.

"D'you know where George has gone?"

The men haven't seen the tall man yet today, and Matty's starting to worry: usually, George would be over the second he was dressed, often before even eating so he could make sure Matty had a good breakfast - he sometimes even traipsed over in his sleep clothes if he'd woken up particularly late. Jesse had distracted Matty from it for a while, spoiling him a bit with hot drinks and blankets and cuddles, but when Countdown comes on at four and George still isn't home, Matty can't help but wonder.

"His mum's over, I think." Jesse sits up properly, throwing his arms around the smaller man. "Been spending the day with her. Did say he'd be over for Countdown, though."

Matty nods, leaning his head against Jesse's now conveniently-placed shoulder. "Should probably pause it until he gets here."

And yet, neither of them reach for the Sky remote.

Instead, they sit together contentedly, hands rubbing gently over each others.

Matty, as Jesse had always imagined, is particularly frustrating to watch Countdown with. It had always been a tradition of Matty and George's to watch it together, and Jesse joins in on this whenever the pair are home, but George normally balances out Matty's frustration with the contestants enough for it to be bearable. He's never experienced undiluted Countdown Matty before, and it shocks him a little when Matty yells, "It's ululation, you cock, not talon!"

Jesse almost snorts at Matty's outburst but drops his smirk when Matty glares at him.

"Sorry, love. You should try out for this show, you know."

Matty's eyes widen, and he grabs his phone from the arm of the sofa without looking; opens up Google. "That's actually a fucking good idea - shit, Jess, you're onto something."

It's while Matty is mid-googling how to audition for Countdown that George unlocks the front door, pushing his shoes off in the corridor and wandering through to the living room.

"Couldn't wait for me?" He raises his eyebrows when he sees the telly playing, before looking disdainfully at Matty. "Countdown not good enough, Matty?"

Matty rolls his eyes, trying to budge Jesse across on the sofa so George can sit down. "Trying to apply for it, Georgie."

George folds his arms, leans against the door jamb. He's a bit put out, really, that Matty and Jesse didn't wait the twenty minutes it took for him to get home. Like, Jesse doesn't even like Countdown, and besides, Countdown together is a Matty and George activity; once that they graciously allow Jesse to join in with.

He's aware that he's being petty, but George is determined to keep this up.

"Jesse, when did you ever watch Countdown before us? Do you even enjoy the show?"