Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Marcella

Father's office was exactly how I remembered it. Quaint and cozy and the family photo that we had taken 10 years ago of him, my mother, my brother, and I still stood proudly above the wood fireplace. The walls resembled my mother's eyes in that they were painted a deep shade of green, my father loved her more than anything. The furniture was still the same old trusty wood that mother had picked out. Being in here was like a trip to the past. I hadn't stepped foot in here since his passing two years ago.

Clive and I sit cautiously down at the two leather seats in front of the desk.

"I never changed anything in here," Jason comments as he sits down behind the bulky wood desk, "I don't think I ever could have. Your father was my best friend and losing him hurt in a new kind of way. Being in here always made me want to be more like him and ask myself what he would do. Made me want to protect his children and his pack the way he would have."

I nod my head in acknowledgment, a little too overwhelmed with emotion to respond.

"That is the precise reason I asked you both to join me in here," Jason sighs, "I think both of you should reject the mating bond."

My heart stops, reject the bond? The gift from the Goddess herself? That was practically unheard of. Rejecting the bond, for anyone but an Alpha or Beta, was a crime that was punishable by banishment.

Clive instantly stands protectively in front of me, "How dare you, a temporary Alpha request that we reject the bond? Two Alphas definitely above you in rank."

"Watch your tongue boy," Jason growls out, "I know all about you and the Noctis pack. Things Marcella might not be too keen of hearing."

Clive takes in a shaky breath, "You are one to talk of reputation."

I grab his hand lightly and pull him back down to his seat. His wolf is on edge and I can tell this conversation won't go in either favor. Lucella does the same for Jason, placing her hand gently on his shoulder.

"What my mate is trying to say," Lucella interrupts softly, "Is an Alpha mating is almost like a forbidden topic. The Council is unlikely to be thrilled with two strong Alphas committing to one another with an offspring. This will make both of you a target to rogue attacks and war proclamations. On top of that, what is to happen to the pack that the Alpha leaves? Alpha Noctis I understand that you are an only child and Myron is far too young to take over a pack. Jason and I can't be stand-ins forever. The Council is barely happy we are standing in now while there is an eligible heir."

"Marcy, you are twenty three now. Your 24th birthday will be here in a matter of months, it would be so much better for you to take over this pack as planned," Jason follows up.

My mind takes a moment to process everything. That is all true. Alpha mating is dangerous in a sense, especially from two true mates. The pack we choose will be bombarded with attacks, especially in the days before we bare an heir or each other's mark. On top of, did Myron want to take over the pack? It was always assumed to be my responsibility, he never showed interest in such a responsibility.

Clive looks towards me in dismay, his head processing it as fast as mine.

"I understand that, and your concern," Clive begins but Jason cuts him off angrily.

"I don't think you understand. What makes you so sure you could protect Marcella from the threats you are willingly putting her in? I made a promise. I made a promise to her father that I would keep his kids safe. That I would give them the best life they could have, and that isn't with you."

"Using my father's name as a justification is not okay," I speak up for the first time since the meeting started, "I am a capable future Alpha. The insinuation that someone needs to protect me is insulting, Jason. Not only that, but rejecting of this special kind of bond is not a good example for either pack. Besides word has probably already spread to every surrounding pack and their allies that we have found one another. If we were to reject this now, we would be outcasts."

Clive holds my hand tightly, "That is true. This public of a claim cannot be undone."

Jason lets out an aggravated sigh, "You just came back to us Marcy. Are you really going to leave?"

My heart aches at that kind of question. I just returned to Myron, to this pack. Is it really in my fate to abandon them once again?

"We could combine packs," Clive suggested more to himself.

All three of us turned to look at him in shock. A pack that big? Both the Lumen and the Noctis packs were huge. An average of three hundred pack members in each respective pack. Six hundred all together? That is almost chaos.

"What?" Jason gawks.

"Our pack is separated by neutral land, theoretically we could combine," Clive insists, "It would strengthen both packs, provide a reasonable solution to the Alpha situation, and the Council cannot reject a dispute between packs if we settle it ourselves."

"Com-Combine?" Lucella stutters, "That would put an even larger target on your back. Alpha Noctis I can't imagine that your wolf is okay drawing that much attention to your newly found mate."

He looks over at me, gripping my hand before looking back, "It is just an option at the moment as we proceed; however, rejection is not up for debate. I am already an Alpha of my pack; therefore, it is custom that she would come to mine as my Luna."

"I will be an Alpha, Clive," I say firmly, "I cannot abandon this pack."

"I understand," Clive sighs, "Would you mind giving the two of us a moment?"

Jason and Lucella reluctantly leave us to reside in my father's office. My wolf is overtaken with joy at the contact and the privacy she is having with our mate.

"What a wonderful first meeting," I jest lightly, rubbing his hand. Trying to take the tension out of the room and focus at least a little bit on one another.

"I've been looking for you, I'm so glad I came tonight," Clive murmurs, looking down at my hand on top of his, "Where have you been the past couple years? I have been here every spring for the Mating customs."

"I think that is a discussion for another time, I think we have a task at hand," I suggest softly, trying to save that topic for another time.

"Alright," he murmurs, "Will you come back with me to my pack?"

"I just got back from being away for so long," I try to process the events of the previous hour as I speak, "I can't abandon my brother and my family like that again."

He purses his lips together in a thin line, clearly unhappy by my decision.

"I will stay here for two days time as we try to come to a solution; however, I ask the same of you. Come to my pack for a few days, meet them and we can continue discussing there if all else fails."

"Okay," I murmur as he kisses my hand, "That sounds like the best idea we have."