Final Chapter

One by one tears fell in silence as you tried your best to hide them from the taxi driver, not wanting to answer to the questions that would usually follow. How were you even supposed to answer them? 'Yes, I am crying because I just told the boy that used to have a crush on me but I rejected and who is now in a relationship with another girl that I loved him and I couldn't even stay to hear his reply because my chest was already tightening and I was this close to crying and embarrassing myself in front of him. How pleased would he be to hear my story.' You thought. You almost laughed at how stupid the whole situation was. But as crazy as it sounded, it was real. Buildings, people and trees were passing before your eyes with great speed but your mind was traveling even faster back in time, to a summer night a year ago. You remembered the shivers that went down your spine as Jungkook told you how he felt. His expression just a few moments ago was probably the same as yours back then. Surprise, confusion, disbelief and a bit of joy, all perfectly fused together.

Thinking about it made you realize just how hard it must have been for him, if to you it felt like someone had his fingers wrapped around your neck, tightening the grip as the pain in your heart grew. And still, he never showed it. He brushed it off with a smile that he kept all night long, he erased every trace of it and kept it locked in the name of friendship. And you who was responsible for all of it just broke the seal and let the feelings engulf your whole existence in just one blow. Because the pressure was too much, because the room in which you buried them became too small. And with every step he took further away from you, it became clearer and clearer. You loved him. Maybe you did ever since the very first moment he stepped into your studio, but as having him around became a habit, it seemed as nothing more than friendship. And from the moment your eyes landed on Jieun dancing with him, the first domino piece fell, pushing the others one by one till those words finally left your lips.

"Miss?" The voice of the taxi driver took you by surprise.

"Hm! Yes?" You looked at him, confused by his sudden intervention.

"We're here."

He was right. The car had come to a standstill while you were still lost in thought. Your mind was all over the place. You apologized, took your stuff and went straight to your apartment. The protective space between those walls was making you feel lighter. You could finally let your feelings take over, let them explode. You felt as if all this time they were tearing your insides apart. You let your body fall back on the mattress, closing your eyes as sobs crushed the silence. The alarm you had set on your phone to make sure you would be at the studio on time started ringing, bringing you back to your senses. You stared at the screen, emptiness filling your heart as you realized there was nothing to go back to. And so another wave of torture began. Your energy was slowly fading as your memories turned to dreams. Your only consolation.

Days passed like flying birds across the sky, leaving you empty. But the world did not seem to care, it kept spinning. Hoseok was now in your place, his voice breaking through the music as he explained the steps. It was not easy for him either, but Jieun was clearly more motivated since you were not there anymore. It was as if her master plan worked out just the way she wanted. She had Jungkook all for herself, only that he was not the same either since that day. Jieun's calls would often go ignored, her messages lost in the huge pile that only kept growing, her touch was not as warm to him anymore, nor did he miss it. The silence and solitude in his small studio were comforting yet painful, but the way their embrace made him feel good, safe. But it was just an illusion. Hidden underneath this peaceful picture, a storm was unleashing, ripping everything apart. All the words he said to you, all the time spent together, the emptiness that came with you leaving, they were all haunting him. Hoseok noticed how silent and isolated Jungkook had been since that day, and he knew why. It was obvious. But it was not the time for this, he still had to perform on the dance show.