Introduction

Is it impossible to love two people? I would try to tell you it’s not. That love is love and you don’t choose who you love, one person or twenty. But sometimes, deep inside my thoughts I wish that it was impossible.

            Two years it’s been now. Two years exactly from the day I stormed out of his apartment. Two days. In two days, I’ll be on a plane on my way to the place I’ll be getting married. I’ll be on my way to the happiest day of my life, and I can’t even get him out of my head!

            Don’t get me wrong, I love my fiancé, Will, with all my heart. He’s the most amazing, kind, considerate, and sensible guy I think I’ve ever met. Him and I live in the same large home, rather than a little apartment. I don’t think we’re ever even begun to fight.

            Most of all, Will is so stable. He’s had the same well paying job since I met him. After we moved into this house we never had any problems, and most of all, he’s willing to marry me.

            And here I am, trying on my wedding dress for the eighty-seventh time to make sure it still fits me perfectly. My best friend and maid of honor sitting carefully at my side, joking with me as she always does.

            “I can’t believe you’re off to marry the most wonderful man in the whole world…. And, blimey, here I am! My last date put his feet on the table during dinner and stuck his hand up my dress afterwards!” Her flowing British accent sounded quite annoyed as she told me, “Dear god, Mary! I think I ‘aught to pay someone to marry me!”

            I laughed, twirling around in the traditional flowing dress. “May, I’m telling you! One day, when you’re wearing a dress like this and I’m sitting by your side I’ll say, ‘remember when you were complaining about how you’ll never find someone to marry?’”

            She snorted, “Yes and I’ll say, ‘Oh, why yes, Mary. Thank god I found this one for a reasonable price!’”

            I twirled the other way, and the women checked all the spots for anything too big or too small, “You look lovely, Miss Mary.”

            I smiled at her, “Thank you so much. Am I allowed to take this off now?” I asked, blowing out a breath. “I think I’ve worn it more times than I will ever need to.”

            The women checked one last spot than nodded, helping my pull the dress off to reveal the little under-dress I was wearing. I quickly undressed and dressed back up into my regular outfit, praying May would take me out to breakfast.

            “May,” I said, walking out of the little shop with a big dress bagged up in my hands.

            “Hm?” She turned her head to look at me.

            “Is it wrong that in five days time I’ll be married to Will… Yet all I can think about is Alex?”

            May looked up at me, surprised, as we walked into a tiny coffee shop, taking a seat near the window. “Mary, not Alex again. I think you’re just thinking about him because that’s who you were sure you were going to marry.”

            I nodded, “Yeah, I guess that might be it.”

            She sent me a smile as the waiter showed up. “Don’t worry, okay? I promise; Will and you will be completely happy together. Alex won’t be in the way to mess this up. Not again.”

            Man was she wrong…