Chapter 36

Night Before

"I just saw your fiancé in the hallway and he wanted me to give you this," my bridesmaid, Claire, told me as she handed me a box and an envelope.

I opened the envelope and read:

To my future wife,
I bought this necklace for you to match your promise ring. I hope you love it as much as I do. I can't wait to start forever and become your husband. I'll be waiting for you at the end of the isle tomorrow afternoon. See you then.
Love,
Chase

I figured I should write back:

Chase,
I love the necklace, thank you so much. You know, I've heard so many stories about how brides were terrified the night before their wedding, but I'm scared I won't get enough sleep because I'm so excited. I love you so much, see you tomorrow.
Love,
Your soon-to-be WIFE

"Will you be my messenger?" I asked Claire. She excitedly took it and ran to the hallway.

"You should probably get to sleep," Charlee told me.

"I don't want to, I'm too excited," I responded.

"But if you're tired, you'll look bad in the pictures," Kendra pointed out.

I agreed and they headed towards the door.

"We're really happy for you," Charlee said.

"Thank you," I replied.

I laid down and looked at Chase's ring sitting on the night stand. All I could think, was 'tomorrow.'

*********

Claire, Kendra and Charlee were all fidgeting with my veil and hair.

"Guys, it's fine, really," I told them and they took their spots with Ryan, Dylan and Bubba.

My bridesmaids walked down the isle, then my flower girl. My parents stood on either side of me and took my arm. The doors opened and I saw my whole future waiting for me at the end of the isle.

"Who gives Amy away in marriage to this man?" the preacher asked when we got to the end of the isle.

"Her mother and I," my dad answered.

"We love you," my mom whispered.

"I love you too," I whispered back. They kissed my cheek, and took their seats.

"We're all here today to celebrate the relationship of Amy and Chase and to be witnesses and supporters of the commitment they share with one another. Together we're a group of the most important people in their lives and they've brought us here to publically recognize that we've all played some special part in the love they share today," the preacher began.

"A good marriage must be built on the foundation of this commitment. In marriage the "little" things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say, "I love you" at least once a day. It is never going to sleep angry. It is standing together and facing the world. It is speaking words of appreciation, and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. It is not only marrying the right partner — it is being the right partner."

Chase and I joined hands.

"Amy and Chase, the vows that you are about to make are a way to share your love and commitment to each other in your own words. Sometimes poems, verses and quotes just don't get the point across the way you need them to and the best option is just to do it yourself."