Prologue- Starry Skies

As my eyes blink open for the very first time, I see stars. Stars above me, stars around me, stars, stars, stars. And they are beautiful. As my eyes come to rest on the moon, I feel a deep sense of satisfaction and belonging. This was where I belonged. Outside, under the night sky.

Something nudges me, and I start as I see another young dragonet besides me. She is slight, and wobbly on her feet, but what amazes me the most about her is her eyes. She has the stars in her eyes.

She grins at me, squeaks, and falls over me. I laugh, and pounce on her, and I tumble out of the nest I was in. I am aware of other dragons around us, talking to us, staring at us fondly. I think they are my parents. But all I want to do is look at my friend who has the stars in her eyes.

She cuffs me over the ear, and I pin her down, laughing and giggling as we tussle. But then the older dragons start to murmur, then shout, as they stare up at the stars.

The sky is covered in smoke, curling lazily up from a massive mountain at the mountain's center. It twists and turns and spreads, and slowly, the stars disappear. I search for them desperately with my eyes, trying to find their beauty and light. But the older dragons are scooping me and my friend up, and taking us back inside the cave.

As a wall of ivy swooshes back into place and the sky vanishes from sight, I look over to my friend's bright, shining eyes. They still have the stars in them. I keep staring at her, until the grownups calm down and I finally drift off to sleep.

One thought remains in my mind-- she is my new stars, and I cannot let her be smothered and killed like my old stars. I watch her sleeping quietly, and rest my head on her shoulder. She is my stars.