Arc 7, Chapter 22

The Crown

Tails stood in front of the temple, head held high and shoulders straight. His posture oozed newfound confidence, his insecure air no longer prevalent. From behind him, Umbra was beaming with pride. He had grown to like Tails, and seeing him look so comfortable with himself made his heart swell.

Hundreds of Serpentine sat on the courtyard of the temple, all eyes trained on their emperor. Concern was written on their faces, the suddeness of the gathering taking them off guard. The sky had cleared almost entirely, moonlight shedding visibility on the sandy expanse.

Coatl stood awkwardly to the side, the mutterings of the crowd bringing a frown to his lips. He, unlike Tails, did seem uncomfortable. Umbra couldn't blame him.

Tails clapped his hands together- the universal sign for silence. All noise abruptly stopped, the dead quiet making Tails shuffle on his feet. He quickly found his composure once more, keeping his palms pressed together.

"Citizens..." he watched the crowd, swallowing dryly, "Citizens, there is something I must tell you. I have banished my council from this kingdom." Gasps and murmurs flew through the crowd, and Tails spared a moment to let the news sink in. "I discovered their history of wickedness, and I was left with no other choice. They've been lying to us for years about everything. They were cruel guardians to me."

Tails let out a deep sigh, soft eyes gazing over the heads of the crowd. "I have also come to the decision that I am not fit to be your emperor. I've been under the painful rule of the council for so long...I don't feel my mind is strong enough for it. It's too much stress."

"I will be handing my crown to lord Coatl, the rightful leader of the Serpentine," Tails murmured, casting a smile at Coalt. Coatl gaped at him, but Tails fearlessly beckoned him forward. Coatl quickly wrapped his arms around him.

Anxious energy spread through the crowd as Coatl stepped in front of them. He held up his hands as a sign of benevolence.

"I am honored to be standing before you right now," Coatl murmured, offering a bow, "I know that there have been horrible things said about me. But, please, believe me when I say that they were lies. Your former council had conspired against me in the past and sealed me away. They tarnished my name and manipulated all of you."

"Now, with their reign of terror over, I can only hope that you will accept me as your emperor with open arms. I want nothing more than to lead this kingdom with my prince, Tailsium." It was Tails's turn to gape. Coatl winked at him.

Umbra watched with bated breath as the uncertain silence of the crowd turned to applause. He joined in the frenzied clapping.

"And, finally," Coatl said, "I would like to recognize Umbra Mortis for his services to Tails."

Umbra's cheeks went scarlet. "What?!" he whispered.

Coatl shook Umbra's hand heartily, "I cannot thank you enough for helping my dear Tails. I am forever in your debt. If you ever need anything, anything at all, do not hesitate to ask."

"This is an honor, Coatl," Umbra said, nodding, "Thank you."

Coatl's eyes were lit with joy as he turned his gaze back to his people. He looked at peace.

Author's Note- remember to vote and comment!!!♡♡

also...it looks like silver moon has gained more allies...who will come in handy later...