Devilish Pee Stick

As Dakota looked at the devilish pee stick in her hands she couldn’t help but pay close attention to the tick-tick-ticking of the clock perched on the wall behind her.  With every ick she realized just how much her life was changing. With every movement of the smallest hand she could feel the small being growing more and more.

            “Dakota! Hurry up honey!” Dakota’s father, Martin, called into the bathroom, “you are going to be late and you need to get gas because your mother took your car this weekend remember?”

            “Crap,” Dakota whispered to herself as she brushed her hair quickly and ran some lip gloss across her mouth, “I’ll be right out!” she grabbed all of her trash and stuffed it into a plastic bag tying it tight and put it into her oversized bag before leaving the bathroom, “Bye dad I love you,” she kissed her father before stepping out into the garage where her families many cars sat and she walked across to her old ’97 Oldsmobile.

            As she climbed into the driver’s seat and opened the door to the large home for the many vehicles, she couldn’t see past the numerous tears forming in her eyes. How was she going to tell her family? Her friends? How was she going to tell Jacob?

******

            “Dakota!” Dakota heard her best friend Shea’s voice scream at her from her parking spot four spaces down from her own, “Where were you this weekend?” she asked as a motorcycle sped past her, “Jesus Christ Jacob!”

            “I told you Shea,” Dakota started as her boyfriend made his way towards the two of the girls, “my dad’s back. I needed to spend some time with him.”

            “Who you spending time with?” Jacob asked Dakota as he got to her, “you missed a crazy weekend!” Dakota rolled her eyes at her boyfriend.  She could remember at least three conversations she had with Jacob on Friday explaining why she could do anything over the weekend.

            “I told you my dad was home for the weekend,” she explained as Jacob put his helmet in the backseat of her car, “But since when does anyone ever listen to me?”

            A Dakota finished her rant Jacob ran his hand through his thick brown hair messing it up after his short ride to school.

            “Whoa, D!” Jacob exclaimed as Dakota took in a deep breath in order to go off on another tangent, “Settle down! What’s going on with you?”

            “Nothing is going on with me!” Dakota groaned as she began to walk away from Jacob and Shea but Jacob didn't want that he grabbed Dakota by the arm and pulled her into him kissing her severely.

            “Don’t get angry with me,” he whispered playfully as he grabbed her hand and the three of them began walking towards the school, “I’m sorry I joked about the weekend, I didn’t know you’d take it so seriously.”

            “Oh my god!” Shea screamed loudly before running forward and into a large group that had grown at the front door.

            Dakota looked at Jacob confused then turned back to the crowd, “What’s going on?” she asked him as they finally made it to the group of students, “Is there another stupid fight?”

            “No,” Jacob pulled her toward where Shea disappeared, “this is what I was trying to say, this weekend we all found out that Tyler Menzler is transferring.”

            Dakota stopped cold. Tyler Menzler? she thought stepping back away and tripping slightly falling to the ground and scrapping her knee as she did so. Then before she knew it the crowd began crowding her, “Whoa you okay?” she heard an all too familiar voice ask as she was helped up.