Keep it a Secret

“Dad!” Dakota screamed as she ran into her house and upstairs into their home gym where her father was lifting weights, “Guess what happened at school today.”

            "You were attacked by extraterrestrial life forms?" he guessed wiping his forehead with a hand towel and took a sip from his water bottle.

            Dakota laughed as she took a seat on the bench and  looked up at her father, "We got a new student."

            "Oh yeah!" Ryan exclaimed taking a seat next to her, "Tyler told me he was transferring to your school!"

            Dakota yelled loudly standing up, “And you didn’t tell me?” she asked furious that her father kept this information from her, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

            “I thought he told you too!” her dad defended himself taking another drink of his water, “I thought you were the one that told him to or something.”

            Dakota shook her head as the doorbell rang. This prompted her to leave her father and walk downstairs to see who it was. She sighed when she saw Tyler on the other side, "Speak of the devil,” Dakota moved to the side letting Tyler enter her home.

            “So,” Tyler stood by the door his sunglasses still on and his hands in his pockets.

            "What are you doing here?" Dakota asked him ripping his sunglasses off of his face, "I told you..."

            “My son!” Ryan's voice rang as Dakota could hear her father’s steps bounding down the staircase behind her and then wrapping Tyler in a hug.

            “What’s up Rye-dog?” Tyler laughed as he pulled away from Ryan.

            "I heard you are going to Dakota's school now," he said leading Tyler in the kitchen making Dakota follow them annoyed.

            "Yeah which no one decided to tell me," Dakota whined sitting on the barstool next to where Tyler had taken a seat.

            "Oh don't get your panties in a bunch!" Tyler teased her as he began to tickle her leg which she fought violently.

            “Tyler stop it!” she yelled loudly making her father laugh as he left the room, “Tyler seriously!” she punched him hard on the shoulder.

            Tyler gripped his shoulder wincing, "Jesus Dakota what is your problem? I was just messing around with you!"

            “I told you to stop bugging me!” she exclaimed pouting, “I have a boyfriend.”

            “Dude seriously we’re just friends,” Tyler assured her, “That’s all I want.”

            "Well why didn't you tell me that this summer when I risked everything I had with Jacob with you?" Dakota exclaimed loudly standing up quickly sending a sharp pain through her stomach making her double over feeling sick

            “Dakota!” Tyler exclaimed as she ran over to the trashcan and began throwing up, “are you okay?” he asked pulling her hair out of her face as she continued to be sick.

            "God this is so gross," Dakota mumbled into the trashcan as she lifted her face and was truly face to face with Tyler since the summer.  She was so embarrassed that he had seen her that way, but she was very grateful that he ran to her rescue, “Thanks.”

            “No problem,” Tyler let her hair fall over her face and smiled slightly at how beautiful she looked even after just getting sick.  But he could never let her know that.