Friends All The Way

"If you won't listen to me, then who will you ever listen to?" My mother complained.

"I just told you to do one thing, one thing! You just have to have an attitude about it. If you don't want to be my child anymore then just say it! Go where they treat you right! Go to your father's side of the family since they treat you better I do, right? You just don't care! He left us here but since I'm the bad guy here you can go be happy like he said he was planning on doing when he left." She scolded.

She was angry for a petty reason as usual. All I did was put refrigerated water for her instead of room temperature water. I forgot. All she had to do was point it out and I'd have put the 'correct' type of water for her but of course it was blown out of proportion.

"That phone distracts you so much!" (I don't even have the phone with me).

"I should just take it because it does nothing good for you. It was meant for research but that obviously isn't happening!" She continued hammering me.

By then I was just infuriated. I got this kind of 'talk' often enough for me to know it's the inevitable but each time the blow is like a fresh wound. Tears pricked my eyes and I just left the room when she had let go of all the pent up anger on her chest. Of course being the child here I was often enough a punching bag.

I went to the bathroom and looked at the mirror. I didn't see a broken girl, just a hurt one. Hot tears slowly flowed down my cheeks as silent sobs wracked my body. My life wasn't as bad as you'd think with my mother. Sometimes I felt sorry for her. She was lonely but sometimes she just needed to find other means to let off all of the frustration she had. Her studying for an MBA just put a lot of pressure on her and I was conveniently close by for some stress relief. Sigh.

I chose to get over it every time.

°°°

I was almost late to school, again, because my mother just had to take her sweet precious time to get ready. Sometimes I tell you I wish I could just snap at her!

My schedule for the day was alright. It was a Friday and I had Religious Education first with a BORING teacher. I had him for History the year before, I flunked. Now I have him for one of the few subjects I had hope in. Dammit it's like they want me to fail.

A fierce knock resounded around the classroom before the Headmistress of our Co-ed Private School entered. We all stood up as procedure for any teacher or elder.

Three students dressed in our uniform followed behind our Principal.

"Morning Mrs Waver." Our class greeted in fast, formal but bored tone.

"Good morning." She replied with a small smile directed towards the three students as if to say 'you'll be alright here'.

"These are our three new students. They'll of course be joining your class and I expect you to give them a very warm welcome. Now be nice." She warned.

A few people snickered and since were whispering things but the rest of us just smiled reassuringly which was good enough for the headmistress.

"Okay then," she continued and turned to the new students, "Why don't you introduce yourselves then get settled in."

They nodded and she walked towards the door to leave when she turned around and looked directly at me.

"Ms Grey, would be their first buddy and help then around the school please? I trust you." She said.

"Oh. Uh of course." I replied a little stunned. I didn't think she would ask me. I'm quite well known but I didn't think she would just ask me right then. Oh well, new friends then.