8. Slow Down... or Not

"Yan si Mr. Uber Driver?" Sheena asked Maine as they stared at Richard.

"Yep."

"Shucks, ang yummy nga bes. Profile pa lang yan... At ang biceps, panalo. Wait. Oh my God! Bubble butt bes? Paano ka nakapagpigil? Di mo man lang pinisil-pisil?"

"Gusto mo ng panyo? Laway mo tumutulo. Rainier oh..."

"Sino si Rainier?" Sheena asked distractedly, her eyes fixed on Richard who was now on his phone, trying to call someone.

"Sabunutan kaya kita?"

"Ay! Possessive? Ano ba yang phone mo tunog ng tunog, ang ingay," Sheena said, pointing at the phone on Maine's lap.

"He's trying to call me," Maine said, looking at Richard's name flashing on the screen.

"Oh, bakit di mo sagutin? Actually, bakit di mo pa babain?"

Maine looked at her and bit her lip.

"Naku, Maine ha, don't tell me magiinarte ka? Ayan na oh, magpaparamdam na. Binalikan ka pa!

The phone went silent for a moment and then it started ringing again.

"Maine, utang na loob, don't make things complicated. Ayan na sya oh, sagutin mo na!"

"Fine!" Maine exclaimed and tapped the 'answer' button on her phone. "H-hello?"

"Maine? Nandito ako sa labas ng apartment mo now. Are you home? I wanna see you."

"Wala. Wala ako sa bahay." She glanced at Sheena who was staring pointedly at her.

"Where are you? Puntahan kita," Richard said.

She sighed, hung up and glanced at Sheena again as she placed the phone back on her lap. She was biting her lip, looking almost apologetic.

"What the hell, Nicomaine?" Sheena erupted. "Anong pagiinarte yan?"

"I don't know what to tell him. And technically, wala naman talaga ako sa bahay. Hind--"

"Bababain mo ba sya o kakaladkarin kita palabas?"

She sighed. "Sasamahan mo ako?"

"No," Sheena said firmly. "Ayusin mo mag-isa yan. As much as I want to meet him now, kelangan niyong magusap muna at ayokong maging hadlang sa moment ninyo. Call me later, kwentuhan mo ako ng mangyayari. Go na, baka umalis pa yan!"

"Fine," she sighed, just as the phone started ringing again. "Richard," she answered while reaching to open the door.

"Maine, I know you're probably mad because I've not been able to get in touch with you the past three days, but I ---"

"I'm here," she said, standing ten feet away from him.

Richard heard her voice and turned. He grinned as soon as he saw her and his bright smile was enough to make her heart melt. He glanced at Sheena's car briefly and then back at her.

"Friend ko," Maine offered, gesturing at the car that was now starting to drive out of the street parking. "Hindi na sya bumaba, may naghihintay sa kania eh." She stayed standing where she was while Richard stared at her.