Chapter 4

Gumi
Gumi rubbed her forehead as the car stopped at a seemingly casual office building. "I hate that mask," she mumbled.

"It has a purpose, you know," Gumo answered, smiling at her slightly.

Gumi scowled. "I know. Still hate it, though."

Gumo rolled his eyes at her and opened his mouth to answer. "Stop complaining-"

The car door swung open and a grim guard beckoned for them to come out. "He's waiting for you."

Gumi swallowed the lump of fear rising in her throat. She accepted the guard's helping hand as she stepped out, allowing herself to be guided into the building. Closing her eyes momentarily, she tried relaxing her face into a neutral expression, feeling the tense muscles of her face loosen; a direct contrast from her wildly pounding heart.

A gentle hand brushed against her own, breaking Gumi out of her spiraling thoughts. Gumi allowed herself to give Gumo's hand a soft squeeze, allowed herself to be grounded again. Yes, she messed up badly. But she and Gumo have survived worse. Maybe this time, the Master would have mercy. Maybe this time-

"Well, well, well if it isn't Gumi who fucked up," a familiar voice sneered at her.

Gumo squeezed her arm as if to prevent her from reacting, but Gumi was already glaring at Rei Kagene. "Careful now," Gumi could feel her face twisting into a grimace like grin. "I don't think you're in your right to comment on a superior's performance... or have you forgotten your demotion, grunt?" Gumi sneered. Gumo's grip on her arm tightened painfully. No doubt she would get a stern talking to about 'keeping people on your good side,' and 'not needlessly provoking anyone' afterwards. If she survived, of course.

Rei stepped towards her, his fist raised. "You know, maybe the master won't kill you. 'Cause I might just kill you right now. Saves us all the trouble, doesn't it?"

That does it. Little impudent brat. Gumi yanked her arm from Gumo's hand and squared up against Rei, relishing the flash of uncertainty in his eyes. "Give it a go. I'd love to put a little grunt in his place."

Gumo pushed between the two, grabbing Gumi by her hair and pushing Rei back. "Are you stupid?" He snapped at his sister. "You're already in deep shit, are you trying to die? And you," he rounded on Rei, "as of right now, Megpoid's fate has not been decided yet, therefore she is still your superior. So, how dare you talk to your superior like that?"

Rei fell silent, his head bowed a little in apology. The little shit didn't mean it, Gumi could feel his resentful gaze on her. Gumi huffed. She wanted nothing more than to cuff Rei over the head, to give him a lesson he would never forget, but for Gumo's sake... "Fine, I'll be civil, just let go of my hair!" She rubbed her head as Gumo's hand fell away, eying Rei warily.

Rei glared at Gumi. "I'm going to make sure I'll be the one to kill you," he growled under his breath.

Gumi felt the anger flare up inside, but she held her tongue when Gumo gave her a warning glare.

"Did you hear me? I said I'll-"

"What's going on?" A redhead stepped in, her eyes narrowed with anger. "Kagene. Don't tell me you can't even do the simplest job?"

Rei glowered at Cul. "I was gonna bring her to master!"

Cul rolled her eyes. "And take a decade doing it. You truly are useless, I'm bringing her to Master."

Rei's eyes widened in disbelief. "Y-You're just saying that because she saved your life! We all know you're too weak to help yourself and that why you owe her-"