Chapter 1: Call To The Past

I see mother crying on the wooden floor staring at the fire near her.

"Everything will be okay, I promise" I smile at her with a warming smile.

She forces a smile, to show that she believes that it will be okay. But I know it won't be, the least I can do is hope and wait. Ever since I was five, I have always liked to surround myself with my favorite things. Back then it was ribbons and patent leather shoes. But today it was different, it was ashes and dirt.

From behind a lace curtain, mother watched as four riders galloped toward the house with an old wooden glass sealed carriage. Still, tears falling on her cheeks. My father had sent her inside when he heard the hooves in the distance. She had no idea who they were, but we knew what was going to happen.

I was the chosen one, the same as my little Brother. We had to escape as soon as we can and now the time had come.

"E-Eber!" I look over at mother, to my surprise she is standing up at the wooden door that has a hole in it. Every winter when the snowflakes fall onto the windows and slowly melt, the door is always cold. Luckily Father put a divider so the wind and snow don't come in the house. We can not install another door because of the money, it's expensive you see.

"E-Eber! Would you please get your little Brother please." She mumbled, wiping her tears off of her face.

"Yes, Mother I will as quickly as possible, I-I just need to grab a few things."

I run up the hall, past the kitchen, outside the fernery and straight into the greenhouse, Bright green leaves flow through the wind and the rainbow coloured poppies and lilies around the center. I grab a skeleton flower and two red poppies, as well as a book sitting on the shelf in the middle of the greenhouse, surrounded by the flowers. The book 'My Diary.' I also grab my Brothers favorite book and one of his toys. Two more things to go. I gather up my pace and go through the greenhouse, to the maple tree that is ahead, surrounded by piles of leaves and seeping through is the bright green frosty grass. I pick a sunset coloured leaf and put it in my diary and climb the tree and take my camera sitting on a homemade birdhouse, twinned with leaves and sticks. I also collect two gifts that are nested in a box, on a little shelf.

I run back straight towards the front door, tears falling down my face.

Mother and Father are waiting at the door with two old wrecked suitcases that are worn out, they are smiling at me but look rather worried but they are forcing a smile giving us the feeling that everything will be fine. My father rushes up to me giving me a smile and picks me up (trying to but it must be bit hard considering I have grown taller)

"My little pumpkin has all grown up..." He says trying not to cry

His eyes watering up in sadness, the same as Mother, seeing the red veins in her eyes getting bright red, her makeup washing off her face as she starts to cry.

"Don't worry." Father pauses looking at my little Brother with his patched-up teddy bear with some dirt on his ears.

"Your sister will look after you, Won't she?"

I look up at Father to see that he is crying now.

"Yes, I will." I smile and hand the two gifts to him in an old vintage box.

I think Carter does not understand what is going on because he is too young and does not understand why we are crying but it's too risky to tell him in the simplest way. But he knew Mother wanted him, he spies on basically everyone and is a sticky beak.

"T-Thank you, Eber, I appreciate this and your Mother, here."

Father hands me a rose with a picture frame of the whole family of us all smiling in the meadow. I was about 5 and Carter was only just a newborn, this memory and gift are very precious. I take the two gifts and place it carefully into my denim bag.