Prologue

"So I guess this is it, isn't it? There are no more chapters, right? You said we were getting close and that was a while ago."

I stared up into the sky, it was the same old sky there had always been, except for some rain clouds that hadn't been there a few minutes ago. It wasn't raining, but they were still floating up there, grey and dismal.

You begin to ask me something.

"Don't ask me how I know, I just do. Things just feel really final right now, like the downward slope is starting to level out. Eventually ... We'll hit the back cover, right?

I sat down on a bench - had that been there a few minutes ago? It was hard to tell.

"Did you say yes? I think I heard you. Your voice keeps getting harder to hear."

Thunder rumbled, but ... It wasn't like the thunder I'm used to. It sounded like you, and it sounded sad. From one of the clouds, a single drop of rain fell on the grainy wood of the bench.

"... You're crying, aren't you? I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I wish I could change this. I wish I could reach where you are."

Thunder rolled again, and behind it was a voice. Your voice.

"Me? I'll be fine. I think. I don't know if this has ever happened before. I don't really know what happens when you ... close the book."

A/N: Just so you remember.

I got the idea for this section of the story from a prompt on Tumblr and I give full credit to the person who wrote it.

Thanks,

Roni