Chapter 1

Hello! This is my first Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (Psychic Detective Yakumo) fanfic, so I hope you like it! I probably won't undate this often, but I'll try to. Also, for those that have a Fanfiction.net account, I'm Lyonsgirl, so this is my story on both cites. I should update these on the same day. Now, on to the story! Also, " " means speach while ' ' means thoughts. I can't figure out how to do italics fight now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good morning, class," Mrs. Taka, the teacher, said cheerfully. "We have a student teacher joining us from now on. Her name is Ms. Ozawa." She gestured to her right, which is where I stood.

I smiled and waved. "Hello, everyone," I said. Most of the class smiled and said hello back. 'I'm so glad I was put with a teacher with little kids. They're so much easier to handle and nicer than teenagers from what I remember.' This is my second time being a student teacher. My first time was cut short thanks to a murder case that I got involved in to protect one of the students, whom transferred after the case. 'Hopefully, I can complete my training this time.'

"She will be watching me teach you guys for a while, ok?" Mrs. Taka asked.

"Ok," the kids said together. My smile widened. 'They seem like such good kids.'

The classes went by quickly, and I noticed that one boy was always left by himself in the corner furthest away from everyone. I watched him during breaks, but I couldn't see why the others, including Mrs. Taka, left him out unless they are only looking at his appearance. He had oily black hair that covered his left eye, and he looked too skinny in my opinion. He looked lonely as he stared out the window, which he did almost all the time. I once tried to walk over to talk to him during a break, but he looked at me, flinched, and looked at his desk. Needless to say, I didn't try to approach him again without trying to figuring out why he reacted like he did.

At lunch, the kids ate in the classroom and moved their desks in little groups, but the boy was left out again. I couldn't stand seeing him lonely anymore, so I finally decided to ask about why he was always alone.

"Mrs. Taka," I called as I walked over to sit with her at her desk. She turned her attention to me and gave me a smile. I smiled back and sat down. "Who is that boy?" I asked. I turned my attention back to the lonely boy. My eyes widened when I realized he didn't have a lunch.

Mrs. Taka sighed. I turned back to her in time to see her shift uncomfortably. She frowned and focused on her salad. "That's Yamamoto Rio," she said. "Everyone is a bit disturbed by him." I frowned. 'Apparently you are too, Mrs. Taka.' "Even his mother avoids him. She hates coming to the school for parent teacher conferences, and she looks ashamed for being with him."

Anger flared within me. How could a mother act like that with her son? "What disturbs people about him?" I asked. I looked at Rio again and found him sneaking a glance at the other children. He seemed to become even lonelier than before. 'Poor Rio. He wants to spend time with the other children.' My thoughts come to a screeching halt at Mrs. Taka's next words.

"His eyes," Mrs. Taka explains quietly. "One of his eyes is red." I gasp. 'Yakumo and his father aren't the only people with red eyes?' Mrs. Taka sighs. "I know," she says. "It's hard to believe unless you see it, but once you see it, you'll wish you hadn't. It's disturbing, and it scares adults. How do you think children will react?"

Anger flared within me again. 'How could they shun him like this? He didn't have a choice when he was born with a red eye.' I quickly stood up, grabbed my lunch, and walked over to Rio, who was looking out the window again. I think he saw me from the corner of his eye because his head whipped around to look at me. I saw his eyes move to my right. He flinched and looked at his desk again. 'He must really be like Yakumo. He can see ghosts. I wonder who he sees.' I sit down on my knees in front of his desk.