My Final Escape

"Some people say a man is made out of mud. A poor man's made out of muscle and blood. Muscle and blood, and skin and bones, with a mind that's weak and a back that's strong. You load 16 ton. What do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. Saying, Peter don't you call me cuz I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store."

Dad always messed up the next part. He could never remember which verse came next.

"I was born one morning, it was drizzling rain. Fighting and trouble are my middle names. I was raised in the Cambridge by a whole mama line, you know a high tone woman makes me walk the line. You load 16 ton. What do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. You say, Peter don't you call me cuz I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store."

The next verse he always got right. He used such a funny voice too.

" I was born one morning and the sun didn't shine. So I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine. You load 16 ton, a number 9 coal, and the straw boss said 'Well bless my soul!' You load 16 ton. What do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. You say, Peter don't you call me cuz I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store."

This last verse was our absolute favorite though.

"So if you see me coming better step aside. A lot of men didn't. A lot of men died. With one fist of iron, the other of steel, and if the right one don't get you, then the left one will. You load 16 ton. What do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. Saying, Peter don't you call me cuz I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store."

This was our favorite lullaby. He kissed our foreheads and told us goodnight. He would do this anytime he was home, up until the point where we were 7 years old. Then he had to take care of my brother and we were on our own. And that's when our problems began.