Part 6: Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things Part 1

"Come on guys. I'm begging you. This is stupid." Dean said as they drove down in the road.

"Why? Why is this stupid?" Dakota asked resting her head on the front bench.

"Going to visit Mom's grave?" Dean asked "She doesn't even have a grave. There was no body left after the fire."

"She has a headstone." Sam said.

"Put up by our uncle, a man we have never met. You two want to pay your respects to a slab of granite put up by a stranger." Dean complained.

Dakota groaned, "That's not the point."

"Then please enlighten me." Dean said.

"It's not about a body or a casket. It's about her memory, okay?" Sam explained. "After Dad I just feel like it's the right thing to do."

"It's irrational, is what it is." Dean said.

"No one asked you to come." Sam said.

"Why don't we swing by the Roadhouse again? We haven't heard anything on the demon lately. We should be hunting that son of a bitch down." Dean suggested.

"That's a good idea, you should. Sam and I'll hitch a ride back and meet you there tomorrow. Tons of people go visit their loved ones graves. Sam and I didn't get to know Mom and we just lost Dad, so we are going to Kansas and you are going to stop complaining." Dakota snapped.

..........

Dakota and Sam stood over the tombstone of Mary Winchester in Lawrence, Kansas. She looked down at the headstone and felt strangely at peace. She loved her mom, even if she hadn't known her in any other way than the stories she heard from her dad and Dean. She didn't often feel sad about her mother's death, if anything she felt sad for Dean and her dad who had to live with the memories and sadness that came with her death. Sam walked up and knelt down in front of the grave and reached into his pocket, pulling out their dad's dog tags.

"Um...I think Dad would want you to have these." He whispered before pulling out his knife and dug a small hole, burying the do tags next to their mother.

"I love you, Mom." Dakota whispered.

This was good for her, she could tell. Even though she had put on a good act for her brothers, she was not handling her dad's death very well, but putting his tags with her mom seemed to give Dakota at least some closure. She reached up for the necklace she was always wearing and felt her father's wedding ring next to her mom's engagement ring and smiled.

"Hey guys!" Dean called them over and they walked over to where he was standing, in a perfect circle of dead grass. He was talking to a man who seemed to work at the cemetery before walking over to them.

"Angela Mason. She was a student at the local college. Her funeral was three days ago." Dean explained.

"And?" Sam asked.

"What do you mean 'and'? In three days all the life in a five foot perfect circle around this girl's rave died." Dakota said raising an eyebrow at Sam.

"You don't think that's a little weird?" Dean asked.

"Maybe the groundskeeper went a little agro with the pesticides." Sam suggested.

"No. I asked him, no pesticides, no chemicals. Nobody can explain it." Dean answered and they started walking to the car.

"So, what are you thinking?" Dakota asked.

"I don't know. Unholy ground, maybe." Dean guessed.

"Really?" Sam sassed.

"Yes really. If something evil happened it could have easily poisoned the ground. Remember the farm outside of Cedar Rapids? It could be a sign of a demonic presence or the Angela girl's spirit if it's powerful enough." Dean explained.