Why All the Pain?

Beep Beep Beep

"Shut the d*amn thing off! Ugh it's so annoying!" I groaned.

"Annoying? Just like you," Ellie said as she smacked me with a pillow.

"It's 6:00 in the morning?! Who gets up that early?!" I grumbled.

"I do, especially on the first day of school. And by the way, I'm not letting you go back to sleep, so don't even try."

I peeked out of the covers to see if she was joking. I was greeted my another smack.

"Fine," I said as I rolled out of the bed, "And what is in that pillow?" I rubbed my as the pain from the sneak attack faded away.

~*~

After an hour of choosing what clothes Ellie should wear and figuring out what breakfast to eat we finally were ready.

Mrs. Thrawn was in the kitchen along with Nick.

"Thank you for having me over Mrs. Thrawn!"

"Mallory," She replied, "How many times do I need to tell you, that there is no need to thank me! You are welcome to come over whenever."

"Squirt, El, I'll give you a ride. I'm going that way after all," Nick said as he grabbed the keys. He winked slyly at his mom.

"Nick," I'll said suspiciously, "What are you not telling us?"

Mrs. Thrawn swatted him. "You mean you didn't tell them?"

"I'll tell them in the car." And with that he left to the car.

~*~

"WHAT?!" Ellie and I screamed in unison.

"OMG, NICK! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE RUINING MY SENIOR YEAR! THIS IS SO EMBARRASSING!" Ellie groaned covering her face in shame.

"I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! THAT'S ACTUALLY...," I sat back in my seat trying to find the right word, "Pretty cool."

"Thank you Squirt! At least someone appreciates my presence," Nick stated throwing shade at his lil sis.

I stepped in- I needed to defend Nick- he wouldn't last two seconds against Ellie. "It's not like he's going to be coaching you. You're not even taking basketball."

"Well still, if people don't like him, people won't like me. It's the nature of things." Ellie said bluntly, "Make sure people like you."

With a slam of her door, she walked into the school leaving her brother behind.

~*~

First period: Psychology

Ellie wasn't in my class. Which meant my life would be torture.

I was happy she wasn't in my class for one reason- I don't want to become too dependent on her. The reason I was sad- She was the on who stopped me from being bullied. Though my bullying was minor, it still got to me after a while.

Ellie and I worked together. It was kinda like a process- I got bullied, Ellie stopped it, and I become to dependent on her.

I entered the classroom to hear snickers, names, chairs scrape away, and books being slammed onto desks. I was called names like, "Sob story, Nobody..."

Chairs were moved away, so all I could see were the backs' of people. Books being slammed was actually an odd sound- unless it was the first day of school. People had already saved spots for their friends to sit; even those who didn't have a friend saved the spot next to them.

Only because....

They didn't want to be the one to sit next to me.

~*~