In The Beginning

Rain beat down from the monochrome heavens as if to clense the earth of something vile. To wash away tears and blood alike. Beneath the dark clouds huddled at the edge of an abandoned warehouse stood a small figure. He squeezed himself closer against the cold cement walls to shield himself against the unforgiving and cruel biting hail. The boy bit his lips as he forced himself not to tremble, to hide his fear from the man standing before him.

"I... didn't mean to. I didn't know it would end this way, I swear!",he whimpered almost inaudibly.

"We all make mistakes, just that some are more severe than others," spoke the man. He stated this as a matter of fact, no judgement, no pity. He dipped his boater hat to conceal his eyes from the wet wind in vain; his useless pea coat was drenched. He continued, "I won't make this known to anyone. But I want you to promise me something," measuring his words he turned to face the boy. Noticing the young lad's stiffness he added, "Make this your first and last error, understood Ara?"

Ara relieved at the words trembled ever so more to the point he felt a warm liquid soak his pants down his legs; he drew blood from his lips at this realization that he had pissed himself. Flushed in embarrassment he managed to look into the icy eyes of his "savior". He managed to speak with conviction, "Agreed."

Seeming pleased about the boy's response, the intimidating look of compromise in his eyes, satisfied the man. Tightening his grip on the Ara's shoulder enough to hear a pleasant yelp of pain he reassured him, "Call me Jack, only in my presence though, any other time it is Trainer, you hear? Consider this a new beginning, your contract starts today." A toothy grin appeared on the trainer's face as he let go of Ara and signaled him to follow. Much work had to be done to cover up the evidence; the man was more than another common "civilian", his mind was sharp and his body was a weapon, Ara knew that much by then. That day was to be forever forgotten.