Mr. Penod

I know a story. A good one, but also weird. My story, actually, his story is about him searching for something quite particular. Something unexpected. That man was looking, for his shadow. That man was named Mr. Penod. A weird name I must admit but, that name became popular. But not for long. I never knew what happened in the end, but i needed to make sure it finishes well.

In a wavy storm, the 21st of July, where the rain was as thick as snow and hard as stone. The wind blew like if the hurricane was coming. but Mr. Penod would make it shine and the blue skies were filled with white clouds. I was sitting in my corner with Annie, my little teddy bear with a broken arm, poorly su ewed. I was holding her tight against my chest, wishing my fear of storms would go away.

"Please, stop making it rain. Fill the clouds of joy. Please, please pleease!

Laurie! Get down here!"

That was Kim calling, she must have trouble with the windows again. I rushed down with Annie in my arms, Kim was trying to close the broken french windows. They were difficult to close specially when there is a violent wind. There was 4 of them on the main floor wide open, hitting against the wall violently because of the wind blowing without stopping. There is 3 floors in the inn. The main floor had, the living room, the kitchen, the dining room as well and the bathroom. The second had all the rooms. There was 6 rooms for a family of 4. The third floor is the attic. Where me and Kim sleeps. There was two old beds with simple metal bed frames. They were big with many homemade pillows and blankets. There was a bookshelf, filled with books that weren't touched for years, a old chest for toys and a red sofa, facing the wide window. You could here the water drops slipping on the cold window.

Its been almost 12 years we own this Inn. They call it: The old Inn. But we call it: home.

Kim and me were pulling as hard we could, the window finally closed. At least the 3 others windows were closed. The old man was on the couch looking at weird magasines held up his cup ordering with a scratchy voice and other hot chocolat milk. Kim, wiped her wet hands on her plain apron that she wore on her brown dress. Her hair was a bit wet from the rain. Before serving the old man, Kim gives me the keys of room 1, she whisper to me

" Laurie, go prepare our guest's room. I'll take care of him."

I rushed up to the second floor with Annie in my arms.

" Here Annie, do you want to unlock room 1"

I put the keys in Annie's round hand, holding it also, Annie and me slide the key in the door and unlock it with difficulty. As I enter the room, I dust off the window and all the shelfs with a broom with Annie's help. I was holding Annie's arms and perfecting the bed. I always loved theses beds, they bounced and they don't squeak as much mine is. At least there wasn't to much to do. We don't have a lot of visitors, which means, no money. When we finished, the room was neat.

"Annie, you do a better job then Kim."

The night came and the storm was still alive. Kim and me help the old man climb the wooden stairs. The man had a suit on and a rusty cane. His long white, frizzy beard was long and touched his bony stomach. His eyes were almost close, but you can still see his grey eyes. He was wearing a black melon hat that was too small for his head. He was wearing grey well polished, pointy shoes. As we made it up to the second floor, I felt the old man falling asleep on my shoulder. I shake it a little and he wakes up suddenly. He looked at us and, ordered:

" My room! Where is my room! Umph, no time to sleep now! Let's go."

He points with his cane room one. Kim and me helps the old man reach his room. Once there, I take the old man's hat on the silver hat hook next to the door. The old man, leaning on his cane, looks at Kim with a severe look, says:

" Some tea would go well on this cold night..

I'll be right back, sir."

Kim leaves the room quickly and leaves me alone with him. He looks deeply in my eyes. I stare at him for a moment, lost in his mysterious grey eyes. I was looking for something but I don't know. I can't see. But then, I shake my head and go back to reality.

" Um, may I. May I take your coat?"

The old man says nothing, he lifts his arm indicating me his coat. I take it off delicately. I leave the black coat on the wooden chair that has a soft pillow sewed to it.

" I may now change into my night clothes" says the old man with his light suitcase, heading towards the bathroom. As he closes the door, I take out Annie out of my red vest pocket, I whisper to her:

" I thought I saw something in that man's eye Annie. I don't what. Am I looking for something Annie? I don't know anymore..."

The bathroom door opens. I put Annie back in my pocket.The old man comes out and I help him out. He was wearing a long stripped robe that went to his knees. He was wearing white long socks with a black buttoned vest. I take his suitcase and slide it next to the bed. I push the drapes to leave space for the old man to slide in the bed. As he sits on the bed, he just waits. He waits, for something? His tea? I was just standing there, in front of him. I was waiting. I guess I was waiting for an order. He was looking at Annie, hid in my pocket.

" What is in your pocket?

N,nothing"

I put my hand on my pocket.

Kim comes with the tea, cookies, and a glass of milk for me on a old tray. Before I put my lips on the glass, Kim whispers to me:

" Go to bed now Laurie, i'll take care of our guest"

I walk out the room quickly with the feeling that the old man was still looking at my pocket where Annie was hidden.

I went to my room, put my night dress and waited for Kim that night. I waited 5 minutes, 10, 15, 20 minutes. Kim comes finally up to the room. She was standing there, at the door. In her yellow stripped dress, her messy hair tied up in a blue ribbon.

"Kim? Where is our guest?

He, he is gone.

Why?

He didn't told me. He dress up, took his suitcase and his umbrella and left wishing us a goodnight.

He didn't say anything else?"

Kim comes up to me. She tucks me in bed with Annie. She bends over and says " Children is full of secrets, you may never see beyond them."

That didn't make any sense. Everybody had secrets, not only children.

" What did the old man means by: you may never see beyond them? It doesn't make sense Kim.

I know. Go to sleep now.

Did he leave money? Tips?

Only two dollars. I'm sorry. Go to sleep."

I slide in the bed with the blanket almost over my head. I press Annie against me and whisper to her a good night. Kim closes the lights and it felt like this day never came.