Chapter Thirty//Leia

+++

"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

--John Green

+++

"You're such an idiot." Evie whispered to Ryan, as he shoved a bite of the ice cream into his mouth. He looked like a toddler, just ready for food. "You're such a beauty." Ryan said back, with his mouth full. Evie rolled her eyes, and took a bite of her ice cream.

The two sat at the island kitchen counter, across from each other. Evie had grabbed two bowls and spooned ice cream into them, giving one to Ryan and one to herself. She had thought, why not? She was already awake.

"Don't even try it right now. Ellie's never been high. She's literally on the honor roll." Evie sighed. She was mostly talking to herself, as Ryan wasn't really ALL there at that moment. "I should've never let her play this stupid game." Evie whispered. "I know I talk down to her all the time about being so boring, but... I didn't want her to be like this." Evie said. "Like what?" Ryan said with his mouth full. "I'm watching her... and I just--I see Raya. She's under Ellie's skin. And when this game's over... I'm not sure Ellie will ever get over Raya. I mean, she's Raya. She's under MY skin. Dug herself a nice hole... and even when I'm mad at her, I can't be fully mad at her." Evie said quietly. "She's pretty malicious." Ryan muttered, swallowing his ice cream. "Poor Ellie."

"Do you think the same thing will happen to us." Ryan whispered. Evie looked up from her ice cream, at Ryan's gentle looking face. "Wh--No." Evie said immediately. "I am nothing like Raya. I would never do that to you."

"But you're exactly like Raya." Ryan hummed. Evie swallowed hard. "You dress like her, your hair is almost the same, your attitude. Maybe the reason you're so scared for Ellie is because you know what you would do." Ryan said. "Do you just become Yoda when you're high?" Evie leaned on her hand. "I'm not sure." Ryan grinned at Evie. "Do you think I would just stop talking to you...? Just like that?" Evie whispered softly. "I don't think I would be surprised. You're popular, and I've just never been that guy. The guy every girl wants. I've always been a nobody. And, I've always been okay with that." Ryan shrugged. "You're not a nobody, Ryan. You're somebody. It doesn't matter what people in high school think, because they aren't going to matter in, like, five years." Evie pointed at him with her spoon. "You're so beautiful." Ryan mumbled, leaning onto his fist. "Ryan..." Evie laughed. "Mhm?" He smiled. "You have ice cream on your cheek." She began laughing hard, and even Ryan laughed. "Oh, my God!" Evie reached forward and wiped the vanilla ice cream off of Ryan's cheek with her thumb. She then brought it back to her mouth. "Evie, if we hadn't of played this game, I bet I would've been the best boyfriend you've ever had." Ryan pushed his bowl of ice cream forward, and laid down on his arm. Evie blinked a couple of times, and a smile tugged at her lips. "I would've loved you like no one else." Ryan mumbled into his arm, as he tried to get comfortable. "I've had the biggest crush on you since we were little kids. I remember...Alex was always talking about his annoying sister, who was bossy and mean." Ryan went on. "But when I saw you for the first time, I promised my seven-year-old self that I'd marry Genevieve Ann McLaughlin.You'd be the Leia to my Han Solo."

Evie's tears burned her eyes. She wasn't sure why she was crying. Evie didn't want Ryan to continue, as she might bawl her eyes out because of the guilt. "I just want you to know that I don't just like you for your looks, like everyone else. I love you for your attitude, the way you scrunch your nose when you're angry...for your laugh, because it sounds like music to my ears. For the way you act so tough and the way you pick on Alex, when everyone knows you just want to protect him...And for your small freckles you can't see unless you're close enough." Ryan finished. Evie wiped her tears and stared down at Ryan. Did he say love? Evie thought to herself. "Ryan, you're totally high. You won't eve--"

"I didn't smoke as much as Ellie and Logan. I took a small hit." Ryan laughed into his arm. Evie watched Ryan with her mouth open. "Ryan, you can't love me. For a million different reasons. You can't change me, because I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life. Because people don't change. Ryan, you're sweet. And you don't want to be in love with me. Because trust me, every man I've ever dated has ended up dumping me because I'm selfish. I'm a selfish person. And you don't deserve that."

Evie sighed, and let a tear slip down her cheek. "In another life, I would've been your Leia, Ryan Beauregard." Evie smiled to herself.

Ryan didn't reply. Evie reached forward and touched his arm. He was fast asleep. "Goodnight, Ryan."

----

Lily touched Alex's small moles he had at the side of his cheek, and kissed his cheek, while he slept. She didn't want to wake him up. She wanted to continue to watch him.

He was so beautiful, even though his mouth was half open, and he snored a little bit. Lily just giggled. "Are you laughing at me?" Alex whispered, his eyes still shut. Lily smiled, "who else?"

"You're a big meanie." Alex opened his eyes to see Lily leaning over him. "You know you snore, right?" Lily smirked. "I do not!" Alex sat up, and looked back to her. "You're very loud." Lily admitted. "I hate you." He laughed. "Mhm." Lily laid back down.

"BREAKFAST!" They heard Karlie scream. "I really didn't know she cooked." Alex admitted. "The pasta was good." Lily shrugged. "I hope she made bacon." Alex pulled the covers back from himself. "Do you want help sneaking back to your room?" Alex turned back to her. His words hit Lily like a truck. Lily stared at him.

"Lil?" Alex whispered, laughing a little. "Uh... no. I'm fine. I'll just run to my room." Lily sat up, and threw the covers from her body. Alex walked to the dresser, where his suitcase was on top. Lily never knew why Alex was so lazy. He couldn't even put his damn clothes away.

Fucking Alex. Lily thought to herself. She was finding more and more reasons to be mad. Lily walked towards the bedroom door. "Uh, Lily?" Alex said. Lily turned back to him. "What?"

"You're in your underwear." Alex laughed. Lily looked down at herself. She was in her black lace panties and bra. She rolled her eyes. "Too bad." Lily opened the door, and left.
Alex stared at the open door in shock.

"Hey, Lily." Evie walked past Lily on the way downstairs. "Hey." Lily mumbled under breath. "Wait a minute." Evie did a double take. "You know what? I'm just going mind my own business." Evie whispered to herself, running down the stairs.

Lily walked fast back to her and Raya's room. "Hey, Raya, I'm going to sho--"
"AH!"

"Ah!" It had happened all at once. Lily had opened the door to her and Raya's bedroom, and screamed as she saw Ellie and Raya on top of Raya's bed, kissing... naked. "OH, MY GOD! I'm so sorry!" Lily didn't know what to do. So she just stood there. "Well, leave!" Raya screamed at her. Ellie straddled Raya underneath the covers. "Sorry!" Lily backed right back out of the room, covering her eyes. She felt for the doorknob, before finding it, and pulling it closed. She re-opened her eyes. "Holy fuck!"