01: Luckily

Before you read this story, I just wanted to say how excited I am to finally write it. There were a lot of plot twists I had to go through in my mind and I've changed Elizabeth's name more than once. If you enjoy, please comment that I should continue this book, if not, comment don't and I'll delete it. Be honest, I promise I don't mind.

- - - - - -

I smiled, finally making it to the city. I have to admit, it felt odd to see such bright lights. It also felt odd to have such short hair, but I couldn't stop my adrenaline rush. I ran down the street, falling on the cement only to instantly pick myself up again. I didn't care that my knees were scraped or my legs were languished, I was free!

The traffic, the other people in front of me, I've never seen so many! I was more than excited, I felt ambition and hope flood me like never before. The people politely moved out their way as I ran, my heart aching.

Finally, I had reached a fast food place to relax, McDonald's. After gasping for air, I pulled out my wallet. I felt my joy leave my body almost instantly. I had ran miles, seen the world, only for the two days I've been free. I had no experience with anything. This money, technically speaking, was from friends of mine. Even if this was enough to buy a house, I could never actually keep the place. I still had to pay for rent, food, and whatever else

"Uh, ma'am, you're the only one in the store, there's no need to wait on anyone else," A man called out, his voice almost flooding with concern. I looked around the store. It was all empty. The floor had been recently cleaned, with shiny gray tiles and small chandeliers on each section of the store.

Oh god, even in here I looked like a train wreck. I had ripped jeans, a shirt covered in thorns and no shoes at all.

"Ma'am?" He walked away from the register and over to me. His look of concern turned into shock. "Are you alright?" He asked. I looked up into his dark gray eyes. They were cool, I wish I looked like that. "Ma'am!" He raised his voice, making all his co-workers shut up and me focus back on his voice.

"You asked if I'm fine? I'm fine," I laughed nervously, quickly answering the question. "I just wanna sit down. I only have enough money for some food and maybe-"

"Please, say no more. I'll get you your food, just, relax," He guided me towards a table and I quickly sat down. I saw him run towards his co-workers, whispering. I watched them glance at me and then prepare something.

After a few more moments, I was given chicken nuggets, a milk shake, a burger, fries, and three sweet and sour sauces from the young man who walked up to me earlier. He sat in front of me, swiping his hair back.

"So," He huffed. "Where are you from?" He asked.

"I prefer not to say," I chuckled, shoving a chicken nugget in my mouth. I hadn't ate much since the run. The food tasted so good, I was sure I was about to cry. As I felt my eyes water, he watched me, almost seeming fascinated.

"Do you even have a home?" He asked another question, making me raise an eyebrow.

"I hadn't had one for two days, why do you ask?"

He changed his posture, sitting straight up. "Look, I don't know much about you, but I don't think you should live on the streets alone, plus your feet look seriously hurt."

"I suppose that's true," I frowned, leaning back in my seat. No matter what I said, it would be pointless to even argue. My goals were unrealistic.

"What if...You live with me?" He sounded as if he regretted saying it, like it was a last option, but I felt so happy.

"Really? Thank you so much sir!" I shouted, standing up from my seat. His eyes widened as the whole place went silent so I quickly sat back down.  "You will really take me in?" I whispered.

He sighed, nodding slowly. "It's nothing special, I live in an apartment with two rooms. My name is Zeren by the way, what's yours?"

"I'm Elizabeth, nice to meet ya'!" I held my hand out and he hesitantly shook it.

"Nice to meet you, but please, just eat," He chuckled nervously as our hands parted.

                           •●♤●•

After I finished eating, he paid for me and walked me out. "I'm so happy I got a home already!" I laughed. He smiled, walking me down the sidewalk.

"I can't believe you actually accepted, why would you do that?" He asked. I looked at him, tilting my head.

"What do you mean?"

"You don't even know me," He chuckled, playing with his hair.

"That's true, but you don't know me either, so why'd you invite me?" I asked.

"That's true I guess, I just wanted to help you. You looked like you had been through shit," He shrugged, looking at his phone. "My boss says it's okay I left. She's actually happy I did that for you apparently- I got a raise!" His smiled stretched ear to ear.

"A raise?"

"Yeah, I can't believe it! She usually hates me! I thought I'd get fired!"

"Wow, congratulations!" I laughed.

"Oh, we're here, sorry," Zeren and I stopped at a large apartment complex, making my eyes widen. I can't believe I made it this far. 

"Well, let's go!" I ran inside and he followed, practically stumbling inside.

"Elizabeth, your feet! Don't run!" I looked behind me, watching his priceless face as I ran up the stairs. My feet were burning, and once I had reached the second floor I had sat down. Zeren climbed up the stairs. "Luckily, this is the right floor."

I pouted, looking at my feet. "They hurt really bad," I whined.

"Well who's fault is that?" He grumbled, helping me up. "I really don't want you to walk, but I am probably the weakest guy you'll ever meet so, I'll never be able to lift you," He confessed. 

"That's fine, it's not too far from the room, right? I can make it there until then?" I asked. He nodded in response and we began to walk as I kept a strong smile on my face. I was so lucky, so very lucky...to already have a friend.