o n e

it all started shortly after my brother, caleb logan leblanc, passed away. 

for weeks i didn't want to talk to anyone. i felt as if the world was crumbling around me. my brain had gone to a dark place.

and then there was my best friend katie, shining like a light in the darkness despite everything. she brought me back to the real world and saved me from the shell of myself i had become.

i remember the exact moment one day when katie was helping me through caleb's death. she said "annie, caleb lived a crazy amazing life, so instead of being sad about it you should be happy he celebrated life to the fullest."

i think that was the moment i realized i was in love with her.

fast forward a few years. i'm fifteen and still gay as hell for katie, but she has no idea. it's summer and our two families are having a picnic.

"look out, annie!" a football whizzes  past my head, courtesy of katie's brothers, brennan and ryan.

brennan races over to the lake and grabs the football from the shore and throws it back to ryan. "sorry about that." brennan smikes and ruffles my hair.

"it's fine." i roll my eyes and stick out my tongue. it's funny-everyone on the internet ships me and him together but i've always thought of him as a big brother, nothing more.

i can smell the hotdogs that my dad is grilling for our picnic. the moms are both talking at a picnic table as moms do, my little sis is tossing the ball for gg, and katie is sitting on her phone.

i go over and plop down next to her. "what's up?"

she steals a quick glance at me. "nothing, just bored. why?"

i shrug. "you seemed like you weren't having fun." i plop my head onto her lap. "katie, let's do something."

i see the corners of her mouth turn up a little bit but no response from her eyes. "katie, please?" i stick out my lower lip and pout.

"fine." she smiles, admitting defeat. "what do you want to do?"

"i hadn't thought that far ahead." 

she rolls her eyes and punches me playfully. "let's play truth or dare or something. we can truth brennan down and ask him if he's a virgin."

i giggle a little bit. "probably not."

"brennan!" katie hollers. "do you want to play truth or dare?"

he runs over and sits down next to us. "sure, why not."

"ok, annie, you go first. truth or dare?"

i think for a second. "truth."

brennan and katie whisper and then katie sits back up to face me. "i'm ready, katie!"

"have you ever thought about kissing someone?"