Here Goes Nothin'

So, he broke the big news last night, and I honestly could not be happier.

But I have a sorta... dilemma. Drake wants to stay AT MY HOUSE for the next few weeks. Uhm. I'm 16. And my parents barely even let my best friends stay the night.

I'm not letting it get me down, though, yet. It's 10:30 A.M. on a Saturday. I just woke up. I don't have school. And I can't stop smiling.

I walked down stairs to get some food, and something smelled delicious. Mom was in the kitchen making homemade waffles. YUM. They're really great.

I sat down on one of the stools around the island, still smiling ear to ear.

"Good morning, Mother!" I said so loudly and energetic that it caught me off guard. Her, too, I could tell.

"You too, Dev. What's got you so happy, SO early? You usually don't smile till, like, two." I laughed.

"Oh, nothing. You know Drake, mom?"

"The rapper? The one who beat up Rih-"

"That's Chris Brown. No. Catchingyourclouds, mom. Drake. I've been talking about him for the past week?" My voice sounded annoyed by then, and she glanced up. "He's coming to Boston," I continued. "He... He wants to see me, mom. I think he likes me," I smiled a lot.

"Okay.. When is he coming? I'm going to meet this boy, right? How old is he?" The questions continued. I answered them all, then interrupted, "he needs a place to stay, mom."

She scrunched her forehead. "Okay," she started, "there's the Liberty Inn down the road."

"He... he wants to stay with us, mom. We have the spare bedroom! Although, it's full of junk.. He can stay in my room with me! Or... I can stay on the couch. Why're you looking at me like that?"

Suddenly, a voice slightly deeper than Mother's creeped up behind me, and I jumped.

"Are yew fuckin' stewpid?" My already-drunk Father slurred his words. I slowly turned around and backed towards my mom.

"Jim. Stop," my mom demanded. "Go back into your room. Go! We'll talk later."

My parents' relationship isn't good, but she stays with him. A few years back, both of my grandparents died in a car accident, and my former-policeman dad was called to the scene. He identified their bodies, and he almost killed the drunk driver who killed his parents. Now, he's the one who's always drunk. Funny how things work out. Anyway, she doesn't have the heart to leave him. He lost his parents and his job at once. Now he works part time as a clerk at a hardware shop.

My mom's a good person.

He stumbled out of the kitchen, and I felt the tears start to form. I looked at my mom, who only nodded and walked to the refrigerator to grab the orange juice and strawberries.

"Do you think I'm stupid, mom." I said as a statement, rather than a question. I grabbed two tall, clear glasses from the cupboard. Mom poured.

"Drake staying here is out of the question, Dev. You barely know the guy, and I doubt you want him here.. erm, around your father. Listen, I'll help with the cost, and he can get a hotel room." She noticed the disappointment in my eyes. "I love you, sweetie," she said in the voice that makes everything better.

"I love you, too. Thank you. I'll tell him he can't stay here. I'll chip in for the cost, too, mommy. You're the best." I hugged her and kissed her cheek and sat at the island, sipping on my juice and waiting for my waffles.