Twelve

Published: February 21, 2017

"Happiness depends upon ourselves. Maybe it's not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story."
-Athena Orchard

The door barges open seconds after I say bye and I scream. The strain on my voice hurts and my own scream scares me.

"Awe. My sisters in love." Benjamin smiles jumping onto my bed and sitting across from me. He stares at me and I shift uncomfortably, looking anywhere but at him.

"W-what are you d-doing?" I ask quietly looking at the phone in my hand.

"Sitting here. What about you?" He asks and I furrow my eyebrows. What type of answer is that?

"Going to give Alphonso his phone back." I mutter and climb off my bed. Benjamin follows me off my bed and towers over me. I grow a little uneasy with him standing over me and wearily walk out. I can hear him following me and try to walk a little faster. When he keeps up I grow a little scared and jump about a foot when the phone rings. Carter's name flashes and I sigh a breath of relief before answering the phone.

"Carter?" I ask still walking. I pass Alphonso and Clara in the living room giving Alphonso hopeful eyes.

"Ben. Leave your sister alone." He says and I walk outside. I notice a hammock and go over to it and make myself comfortable.

"Chloe. You there?" Carter's voice rings through the phone and I bring it to my ear.

"Yes?" I reply.

"Are you finished with your meeting?" I ask and wait.

"Yes. Oh god Chloe. It's so quiet and boring without you here." He groans and I giggle softly.

"I love that sound." He mutters and I smile a little.

"I miss you." I mutter and he sighs.

"I miss you too." He whispers. I look down into my lap.

"Sing to me?" I ask softly and can't help the tears that blur my vision.

"It won't be the same over the phone." He says.

"But it's you."

~~~~~

Back in my room, after carter finished the song and I returned the phone to Alphonso, I look through my luggage and see what Janet packed for me. I see a small corner of wood and move the clothes from that spot. A picture frame with clear plastic that, has pockets of air, sits on the glass. I move the plastic and smile. A knock on the door nearly has me throwing the frame in the air from fright.

"Uh......yes?" I ask. What am I supposed to say. The door slowly opens and a somewhat familiar face looks in. He steps all the way in and smiles at me.

"Hi Chloe." He says softly and I blink at him. Do I know him?

"Ok now I'm hurt. How can you not remember your most awesomest uncle?" He pouts and I try to hold in my giggle.

"Uncle Clay." I murmur and step towards him.

"What you got there?" Pointing at the picture. I look down at it and he walks over to me.

"Who is that?" He asks.

"Carter." I whisper and set the picture on the table beside my bed.

"How are you holding up?" He asks and I look at him.

"Ok I guess." I say and he hugs me. It takes me a second to respond but I hug him back and sigh.