trapdoor.

the fault in our stars.

"don't give it up just yet; stay grand for one more minute."

******

"You only have so much of your summer left to complete everything," my mom reminded me as she walked out of the back door.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I rolled my eyes. My summer wasn't over yet. I still had a good two weeks left to enjoy it at least.

"Don't forget to do your Honor's English Two project, as well some chores today," she yelled, then the door slammed shut.

I rubbed my eyes, accepting the fact that it was yet another night without much sleep. After all, I was up till about six in the morning then fell asleep, only to be woken up around seven-thirty by my mom. It was stupid but I probably needed to stay awake anyways. I didn't feel like wasting half of my day on just sleeping.

Seth was still asleep, and so was my little sister. My dad had already left for work too, so practically, I had the whole house to myself.

I decided to text Misa, as I had missed her lately and wanted to fill her in about almost every that had happened since I had seen her last. Some of it was important, but some of it, not so much.

Misa had missed the first play rehearsal because she was in Saint Louis for a concert. She had seen twenty one pilots; which was a band I fucking adored. I was supposed to get tickets for my early birthday present, but the deal fell through.

I messaged her, asking if she had any plans for the day. Usually when we hung out I spent the night or she came here. Which, it was something I was aiming for. I mainly wanted to talk about Luke, as April wasn't around as often as she used to be.

Things with Luke were going great from my perspective. We talked constantly. Although I was too nervous to actually follow through with Skype calling him, the offer was on the table to Skype him if I wanted to. I just was just too self-conscious of my appearance to ever Skype him.

However, I was also opening up to him. It was honestly hard not to. He was such an understanding person, and was really sweet. Even if we didn't get anywhere romantically I hoped to be one of his better friends. He was really just an easy person to talk to.

Yet, there was the fact that Aurora was leaving soon. If I didn't tell him that I had feelings for him soon, it was going to be never. It was going to be something that I had to wait to tell him though. I didn't want to be that person. Besides, I still wanted to hang out with him again sometime in person, as well as get to know more about him.

My phone buzzed near me, signifying Misa had messaged me back.

yeah! i'm cool for hanging out today. did you want to stay the night or something? we can order pizza and go out for a walk.

Me getting out of the house seemed like a really good idea, actually. Although I had gone to Holiday World the weekend before, I was wanting to get out of the house to go hang out with a friend.

Glancing around my house, I noticed it was pretty clean. I didn't even understand the need to do chores. The house was practically in pristine condition.

It was still early morning, but I didn't mind the sun shining through the windows. The rays made everything bright, filling the rooms in the house with natural light. That was one thing I liked about the summer. You didn't have to turn on any lights till about nine o'clock at night because the sun made everything so bright.

I decided to text Luke good morning, as I usually did once I woke up. He was usually up around the time I was, or a little later.

Having Luke become my friend was honestly one of the best things that had happened over the summer. I didn't expect to be his friend, but it just happened. It was nice to meet someone new and be their friend. Also, it was really nice to have a crush on him.

-a few hours later-

"Misa, you did not," I laughed.

"I mean, it wasn't too bad of an idea. It was just drawing Harambe and posting it on snap with a caption of, our one true savior."

I shook my head, "Well, at least it wasn't Hitler or something. That's happened before."

After some assurance to my mom that I had done some of my English project, as well as some chores, she let me stay the night at Misa's. Currently, we were sitting in her living room. It was only about nine, so the night was still early.

We had already had lengthy discussions over the summer, and what we wanted to happen next with only two weeks left. Misa wanted to spend my birthday with her, which I didn't mind. I actually hadn't quite thought about what I wanted to do for my birthday yet.

My birthday was practically a week away. It was August fourth, and my birthday was August thirteenth. It sucked that my birthday was really only one of the definite good things about my summer before we had to go back to school. Although my parents had asked if I wanted to have a party or anything, I wasn't much of a party person.

"So, Auggie," Misa began, "What do you want to do for your birthday?"

"No idea," I shrugged, "You know I'm not much of a party person. Maybe we'll just go to the mall or something. I'm not sure yet."

"If you think of anything, lemme know," she winked.

"Oh god," I laughed.

"Anyways," she chuckled, "How's that one dude you like, Luke, is it?"

I felt a wide smile come across my face, "Yeah, Luke. He's pretty great. He's also really really cute, Misa. I like him a whole fucking lot. It just sucks that he's with someone. I feel like I'm getting too in the way though of his relationship."

"Well, I know you're not a home wrecker," Misa rolled her eyes playfully, "From what I hear he sounds like a pretty cool guy."

"He's amazing," I grinned.

"When are you going to tell him you like him?" she asked, her pale blue eyes questioning.

"No idea," I murmured, "I don't want to come on too strong or anything once they break up. So it'll probably be a while before I do."

"I'm sorry Auggie," she frowned slightly, "But I think you gotta at least tell him soon. I know how you are."

"It's whatever," I shrugged, "I don't even have a chance probably. There are so many pretty girls at the high school he goes to. He'll probably never even like me."

"You don't know that," she stated, "He probably likes you a fuck ton too and you just don't know it."

"Be realistic, Misa," I sighed. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, so I pulled it out to see I had one new message.

"Is it him?" Misa pressed.

"I'm not sure," I mumbled, and tapped the view message option.

Hey. I'm really bummed rn. Aurora and I broke up.