White Diamonds

She slid into her ashen colored pumps, gazing into her floor length mirror once she was stood straight and upright. Wisps of brunette locks fell around her oval shaped face, complimenting her pale cheeks and her striking brown eyes. Her lips were glossed over with a pastel pink lipstick and her eyes were a light—-almost spring colors. She smiled bright at her appearance, loving her bust looked and felt in the strapless wedding gown.  As she was putting in her earring, she heard a small rap at the door. She whisked her head to the side, “ Yes?”

“ It’s me baby girl, can I come in?” her mother’s soft voice questioned through the thick wood and she happily obliged at her request, “ C’mon in mama, I’m just finishing up.”

The door creaked open and in popped her mother, her own hair falling over shoulders over the spaghetti strapped dress she wore. She smiled brightly, “ Oh ( Y/N) you look stunning.”

“ Thank you mama,” she murmured,  looking down at her twiddling fingers. Her mother sensed her edgy state and she walked over to her, placing a calming hand to her bare back. “ Everything is going to work out fine (Y/N).’

She nods, “ Oh I know that, I guess I just have the ‘pre wedding jitters’.”

Her mother sighed softly and gave her a delicate smile, “ I should have warned you about those.” She chuckled quietly, “ But you should already know that Harry is a sweet and considerate man——I bet he knows how you’re feeling too.”

“ I know, I know, I’m just really nervous. I’m literally about to marry my child hood best friend.”

“ Well you once got married in the sand box on Riverside Ave, remember? Using ring pops?” ( Y/N) giggled, recalling the dark haired lad with a goofy grin stitched to his lips, sliding the Watermelon ring pop to her right ring finger at age 7.

“ It’s the same as then—-just official. Don’t be nervous….” Her mother soothed her with a few rubs against her back. ( Y/N) nodded and took in  a few shaky breaths in the silence that hung in the room.

“ I brought you something..” Her mother breaks the silence and turns to face her. (Y/N)’s eyebrows furrow, “ Brought me what?”

Her mother waited a few moments before pulling something from behind her back. A slick black case sat in her palms, smelling of ancient flowers and leather.  Her eyebrows hitched higher and she took the case from her mother, slowly opening it to reveal a white diamond necklace.

(Y/N)’s breath caught and she could already feel tears brim her eyes, “ Mom…this is—“

“ Yours…” She says quietly with a smile. “ I know grandma would have wanted you to have it..”

(Y/N) gazed over to her mother who had a warm expression to her face, “ Here, let me put it on you.” Her mother moved behind her and placed her hands in front of her, placing the cold diamonds against her chest. She shuddered and stared down at one of the biggest diamonds, twisting it in between her fingers. Her mother removed her fingers and let her hands fall to her sides.

“ Do you like it?” She questions quietly.