Author's Note

The ending of Beauty and the Beast never made any sense to me.

Not until I realized there are two distinctly different interpretations of the story and, by instinct or personal preference, I'd always picked the less common, darker one.

There are two ways to tell this tale, you see.

The same way it is with the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

In Jekyll, the traditional version is about a good man losing control over his dark side due to the potion he's invented.

The less common variant is about a man who wants to get away with being evil while still being respected as good man. So he invents a potion...

In the first version the main character is Dr. Jekyll. In the second, there is no Dr. Jekyll. The main character is Hyde and always was, just keeping up appearances by pretending to be Jekyll.

Same tale, two very different stories. Just like Beauty and the Beast.

In the mainstream version, Beauty falls in love with the man inside the Beast. When Beast is saved by Beauty's love he turns into that man - for all to see - and they live happily ever after.

In the other version,  Beauty falls in love with the Beast...

A very different story indeed.

A Beauty strong enough to love a Beast knows her heart.

Make no mistake: Dark Belle falls in love with the Beast the way he is. The Beast turning into a man because of her love is not a happy ending.

Because it's the wrong ending.

Dark Belle is all in. Dark Belle would never trade her Beast for a Prince. Not ever.

Dark Belle loves her Beast till the end.
And when the time comes she'll bring it.

The dark and bitter end.

*** The beautiful cover image is made by Patryk Garrett a. k. a. Patryk Olejniczak at http://patrykolejniczak.com/

All image rights belong to the artist.