Pressure

I've been staying with Richard for a few days now. Tomorrow morning is my interview with Eliteway. I've honestly never been so nervous before in my entire life. I idly chewed my roll when Richard asks, "What's wrong? You've been quiet all day." I shake my head. "It's nothing. I'm just scared about my interview tomorrow. I really want to get in," I say. "If you stick to our story then we'll be okay. They just want to know the background information. Dress neat, be pleasant, and stick to the story and we'll have your uniform in no time," he says and smiles. I nod. "I think I'm going to go to bed," I say.

I climb the spiral staircase to the second story of the house. I walk down the long, dark hallway lined with old paintings of old movies. A Dracula poster marked my door. I opened the door to my huge room and flop down on my bed. Stick to the story and I'll be okay. The story is that my mom died when I was 12 and that I was sent to live with my uncle Richard. I have to be nice and cute tomorrow, even then I may slip up. I go to my closet and start pulling out shirts and skirts. Finally I decide on a gray button-up top and a black skirt. Tomorrow is a big day, I need to sleep. 

Before I go to bed, I check my Facebook. I have a message from Ash. "Hey, heard you got an interview for Eliteway tomorrow. We all had to do it our freeshman year. Be a total suck-up and you'll  be fine!" I couldn't help but laugh. I shut down my laptop and crawl into bed. 

The next morning, I wake up at seven am. Interview day. I immediately get dressed in my gray top and black skirt and place myself at the vanity. I put a little blush on my cheeks and a touch of eyeliner. My green eyes really pop out. I brush out my strawberry blonde hair and curl it. It's not my style but I have to be a suck up if I want in to this school.

Richard drives me to school, but says he has to run because of a play he's working on writing. I walk into the office. "Hi, I'm Arabella Smith. I have an interview today with the headmaster," I say to the secretary at the desk. My voice is naturally soft and tinkly, which really helps in this case. "Miss Smith?" a nasal male voice says. I turn. "Headmaster Hawkins?" I say. The tall, balding man smiles. "Right this way, dear."

I take a seat on the chair opposite the headmaster's desk. "Arabella, is it?" he asks. "Yes, sir," I say. "What brings you to Eliteway?" the headmaster asks. "Well, when my mom died, she wanted me to have a broader education. She thought Eliteway would be my best bet," I explain. "Ah, so you're just with your father." I shake my head. "No, sir. With my uncle," I say. " Where's your father in this picture?" Oh, no. I cannot have a dysfunctional family. "My parents weren't together very long," I say. 

To my luck, he doesn't press for information. "Well, Arabella, I must say that your test scores are very impressive. I think you could have a good experience here. How do you feel about taking advanced classes?" Headmaster Hawkins leans forward in his seat, resting his elbows on the desk. I sit up straighter and smile. I have a nice handle on this interview.