Chapter 1

I'm on my way home from work when I felt that I needed to take a break from driving and decided to look for a coffee shop nearby. I can't drive while I'm sleepy.

It's almost 1 in the morning and I've just finished checking the remaining of the proposed menu for my restaurant.

11 years ago, I worked as a production staff in different kinds of show in Korea, but after breaking up with Kim Seok Jin, I found it hard to stay almost in the same field as his. So I decided to study culinary arts, and after a few years, I got to open my own restaurant specializing in cakes and other desserts. I named it 'Sa-Taste-Faction'.

I'm slowly scanning the streets for a coffee shop when I saw a familiar place. The 'Caffeine Buddy'. It was the very same place where everything between me and Jin started...

I parked my car and sighed before getting out. Being here brings out a lot of memories. Good and bad.

This place has been the witness on how we started and ended. From sharing a seat to saying our goodbyes.

As I enter, i quickly glanced at the spot where I used to sit. Where 'we' used to sit. It was still there, although the color of the chairs faded through time, it was still there. It is still my spot, I guess.

I ordered a cafe americano and went to 'my spot'. I took my phone out to take a picture of my coffee, and the opposite chair although it's empty. I smiled bitterly as I preview the photo. I can imagine Jin sitting there in front of me, occupying the empty seat, and we can talk about how our days went and laugh at very small things. It's been 11 years but I guess he's still the love of my life. I mean, how can I possibly unlove him when all he did was protect me from all the negativities I could've faced back then?

When I was still working in the production team, there were times when we see each other but then, things were really awkward between us. I had to act normally whenever he's near me. It was hard because the rest of his bandmates knew the real thing. Sometimes Hoseok would tap my shoulder; Suga will ask me if I'm okay; Jungkook will smile at me like he knows how I feel deep down; Jimin will try to crack jokes when I get stucked in a room with them; although V doesn't do anything, he keeps quiet around us. One time, Rapmon came to me and said he wanted to hug me for comfort but he's afraid someone might take a picture of us and post it online.

I uploaded the photo on instagram captioned 'Back to square one.' I'm about to finish drinking the coffee when the cafe owner, Mrs. Ahn, approached me.

"It's been a long time since you last came here. I knew it was you, Minah."

She smiled. It's like she's very glad to see me here.

"You know, I'm really happy when old customers come back here. I feel that I served them well."

She continued.

I smiled at her and took her hand.

"Don't worry Mrs. Ahn. I promise I'll visit here more often. I've missed this place."

Her facial expression changed to a little bit gloomy although she tried to mask it with a smile.

"That's too bad." She said. "I'll be closing down this shop soon. I'm actually looking for a buyer."

I frowned.

"But why? Isn't it good business?"

She took out her wallet and showed me a family picture.

"It is. You see, everyone in our family moved to Canada except me. I'll be going there soon, too. I don't have anyone to leave this coffee shop that's why I'm selling it. Also, I could use the money to start a new life there."

I nodded. So no one will manage this shop. Maybe I can buy this and improve it, like adding pastries to the menu.

"Do you have a buyer already, Mrs. Ahn?"

She shook her head.

"Maybe you can give me your contact number and I'll try to see if I can help."

She went to the counter and got a calling card.

"That's really nice of you. I was about to ask if you knew someone who might be willing to buy this. Thank you, Minah. It means a lot."

I took the card. Before I could say anything, she excused herself because a customer came in. I gathered my things and waved goodbye to Mrs. Ahn.