Prologue

The sea is a paradox; it gives life but it can also take it away in an instant. (Name) knew this quiet well, having come to understand it very early on in her life. Her father was a Spanish merchant, contrary to her village's popular belief, who had had fallen in love with a British seamstress. Like her mother, she grew up in England, her father returning as often as his work would allow but even that wasn't enough. Her mother passed away from an illness when she was merely six years old and her father's ship sank off the coast of France only months later.

     None would hesitate to call her an unfortunate child nor would she deny it, but she refused to act on it. (Name) took life by the horns, so to speak. Taken in by an old baker couple she worked her hardest to survive and make a place for herself, despite slight prejudice from her fellow townsfolk. And today was like any other day for the (h/c)ette; woke up at sunrise to prep the ovens, ready the dough, set said dough to bake, water the flowers on the store front, clean the shop of flour, start the frosting and other similar activities. A completely routine as she rushed around in her apron and (color) dress. It had been harder ever since Grandpa B had passed away two months ago, Grandma B was strong enough to continue working at the shop, running the shop and its customers while (name) managed the kitchen and deliveries but there was no one to back either of them up should one become sick or get hurt or to take care of the repairs when things went wrong. The two women got along well enough though and many in their little community would commend them for the smiles they wore day in and day out.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

"Good morning, (Name)."

Turning around and watching the smiling grey haired woman as she put on her own apron (Name) felt a small grin reach her own face. "Good morning, Gram."

Gram had noticed the younger girls gaze, "Don't worry 'bout me. Get back to the bread." she waved her off before setting about to rearranging the display.

(Name) nodded and went to pull the fresh bread out to cool before sliding a batch of pastries into the oven. "Did Mr. Hughes' place the usual order?"

"Yes." The older woman's voice croaked slightly "Can you deliver them around mid-day?"

"Yes, I also have Mrs. Lay's and Miss. Reeve's orders to deliver so I'll bring all three."

"Smart girl."

(Name) rolled her eyes at Gram's praise and went back to preparing the glaze for a honey bread.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

     Having delivered both Lay's and Reeve's order's (Name) headed towards Mr. Hughes' pub. Mr. Hughes had been a close friend of her mother back when they were growing up and was one of the few people who did not have anything against her Spanish father. The man had been the closest thing she had to an uncle and had offered to take her in after her mother passed. (Name) had only refused because he already had four children of his own running around. The tavern keeper had refused to simply give up on her though, always making sure to check on her and send her sweets on her birthdays. Sometimes (Name) liked to imagine that her own father had been like that.

Mr. Hughes was cleaning tables with one little one latched onto his leg when (Name) arrived.

"Ah, and here comes my favorite baker!"

"Yay! Sis!" Hughes' youngest detached from his legs and ran into (Name)'s open arms.

"Well hello there, little sis. How are you today?" Hughes had insisted on getting all his children to refer to (Name) as their sister. Not having any siblings, and there being absolutely no chance now meant that she didn't really mind.

"Daddy won't play with me so I'm bored!"

"Rosie, your dad is a very busy man. He has a lot of work to do. Why don't you go play with your sisters if you're that bored?"

"Will you come play with us?" (Name) had a hard time saying no to those big eyes.

"I'm sorry Rosie, but I have work to do too. How about I come see you tomorrow afternoon?"

"You promise?"

"I promise."

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

     Evening was falling quickly as (Name) closed the store front. A few other shops on her row left their lamps on, letting light fall onto the road leading to the docks where the bustle carried on. Lanterns lit the docks so that they were visible even from (Name)'s spot on the incline about the cove. Men bustled about a fine ship, loading and unloading precious goods that had come in only that afternoon. Others scurried off the ship and straight to the pubs that overlooked the water and the summer breeze carried their merry voices up to her own quieter home. (Name) remembered her mother's shop, which had sat for years beside the pubs. As a child (Name) would sit outside in the evenings, counting how many men came and went or pointing out the funny looking ones to her mother who sat and stitched away beside her in their favorite wicker chair. Drinking songs were their lullabies as they drifted through their windows in the wee hours of the night. Those had been happy days...

     Snapping out of her thoughts (Name) quickly finished up and locked the store front before retreating to the cramped upstairs where she and Gram lived. After wishing the older woman a good night she went back into her own cozy bedroom, changed into a thin cotton nightgown and laid down. The instant her head hit the pillow she was asleep.

~~~ ~~~ Elsewhere ~~~ ~~~

     With the cover of darkness, the large ship slipped into the village cove. The man standing smugly at the helm with bright red hair eyed the sleepy town. This would be easy pickings for his crew.