One Chance

ONE CHANCE

It was a relatively normal day. I was sitting around, watching TV. I didn't have much to do. I sat there painting my project while watching. I missed the areas im supposed to paint on, my eyes were glued to the TV. Its not really a masterpiece anyway. It's ugly.

I didn't care.

I heard my mom calling me, distantly. Somewhere she was yelling about going out. She's gonna meet someone, some guy. Again. My parents got separated recently. I guess they got tired of each other. Gotten tired of the yelling, screaming, slamming of doors. It went on and on. They never backed down. Never wanted the other to win. They just kept going at it. Fighting over shallow things. Noticing every little mistake. It was a nightmare.

But I don't care anymore.

I heard my mom yell one last goodbye. I just kept going at it, painting with my eyes on the TV screen. I think I heard a sigh. The door slammed with the click of the lock confirming that I'm all alone. I dropped the little project I was doing. Red paint splashes to my pajamas.

I didn't care.

I got up, grabbed a cookie from the center bowl meant for guests, clamped it between my lips while I wandered to my bedroom. I opened my door, and I see that its clean. Too clean. Its been recently renovated thanks to my generous mother. And with the junk, all traces of my father conveniently disappeared too. I opened my new walk in closet and took the cookie from my mount and held it as I contemplated on what I should wear. I chomped down on my cookie and remembered my father telling me that I look good in green, bring out the emerald eyes I have, he said.

I don't care.

I finished the cookie off, and resolved to wear the first thing I grab after showering. I found Missy sniffing around me for crumbs. Feeling generous, I bent down and let the dog lick the remaining crumbs I had in my hands. Missy yipped happily. At least one of us is happy. When she finished, I went to the bathroom and had a shower. As I was standing under the shower, I remembered that it's my birthday. No one even remembered. My eyes heated up.

I don't care.

Really, I don't.

I'm not crying, that's just the shower.