Introduction

Synopsis

Jiso has ruled the as regent since the murder of her husband, keeping her son hidden outside of the capital Seorabeol and safe from enemies and assassins. As Sammaekjong , nobles, citizens, officials and Sammaekjong himself have all grown impatient for her to cede power. However the powerful nobles that tried to usurp power in the Kingdom continue to eye the throne and Ji-so fears the consequences of her ceding it.

In order to break the power of the nobles, who have grown accustomed to their privileges under the , Jiso plans to create a new elite, the , that will cut across the existing power factions, and to bind them to Sammaekjong and the throne. As this new elite of male youths bond and grow they are unaware that within their number is their future king, Sammaekjong, and Kim Sun-woo, a commoner harbouring a secret even he is not aware of.

Cast

MainPark Seo Jun as Moo-myung / Kim Sun-woo / Dog-BirdA young man of low birth who rises above his situation in life to become a legendary hwarang warrior. He assumes the identity of his best friend, Kim Sun-woo, Ah-ro's biological brother, after he is killed by one of the Queen Mother's men.Go A Ra as Kim Ah-roA "half-breed" (derogative term for -lower class offspring) with a cheerful and straightforward personality. She works multiple part-time jobs to support her family; in particular as physician to the Hwarang. She easily make friends.Park Hyung Sik as / Kim Ji-dwiA young and distrustful king who secretly becomes a hwarang warrior, gaining strength and leadership ability in the process. He has a lot of names. Joins the hwarang under the assumed identity Kim "Ji-dwi", Kim Wi-hwa's fake "nephew."Supporting[]Hwarang[]Sung Dong Il as Founder as well as the first Chief () of the hwarang. Secret adviser of Ji-dwi.Choi Min Ho as Kim Soo-hoAn aristocrat born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Hot-blooded and chivalrous, he is seen as a shameless playboy but is devoted in love. Kim Soo-yeon's over- protective brother.Do Ji Han as Park Ban-ryuHaving been taught politics (by his two fathers) from an early age, he is cold-blooded, competitive and seeks for more power.Cho Yoon Woo as Kim Yeo-woolA man who "has a gender-neutral charm and loves dressing up more than most women," but is also extremely thoughtful and caring. Hence, beautiful and mysterious, he possesses a sharp tongue. His mother is the sister of the previous king while his father's identity still remains as a mystery.Kim Tae Hyung as Seok Han-sungThe youngest hwarang, he is bright and innocent. The last "true jin-gol" of his . He likes his half-breed brother, Seok Dan-sae, than his grandfather.