ch. 1

I don't remember many details of the day I recived my "special locket." It was 5 years ago on a dark day. The rain was pouring over my trailer park the wind was flying past me. I was trying to get home before the tornadoes moved in from the west and swept up half of the city. I will step back to that morning when I awoke. It started out as a wonderful sunny morning, there were birds outside my house picking at the bits of trash in the dirt. It was part of my daily routine to get up every morning at 5 and go running off to the bakery to get some bread for the rest of the family. As I ran down the street I heard storm this and storm that, and I wish I would have stopped and listened. This was the worst storm of the year, with winds gushing up to 100 miles per hour. I really didn't want to enter the trailer park when I got back knowing I would be attacked by rocks and dirt. This morning I didn't even think to take a coat with me. As I flew open the door to the Blumstein trailer I got a quick smell of something nice maybe like bacon or ham, but then it was gone within a second as the strong winds pushed it away and away from my nose.

      My brother Tyler met me at the door. He was saying something but I coulnd't hear what. once we got the door was closed my mother come out of the kitchen.  She was happy to see me alive but yet had a sad look on her face. I didn't quite understand what she was thinking but as I steeped in to the kitchen the rest of the family also had a slightly sad look on their faces. I couldn't tell what they were thinking but I knew it wouldn't be good. I got tired of them just staring at me so I put the bread down on the table and walked away. I was headed for the door to go back outside so I could play in the wind when I heard coughing from my younger brother's room. I knew this wasn't good, when someone living in a rotting broken trailer house got sick there was nothing you could do about it. There was not enough money for us to buy medicine or call a doctor. As I slowly crept toward his room I just heard worse and worse. FIrst coughing then sneezing I knew Ethan was not going to survive it if he didn't get medicine. I knew my only choice was to get the money illegaly. That smell the one beutiful smell came back to me, it was as if there was bacon right behind me. I turned to see my mother there with a plate of bacon my favorie food! It was unbeliveable. There was no way we could afford that luxary meat. I just kind of gave my mother a blank stare as my older brother, Tyler said from the couch "Don't you remember blödmann it's your birthday." I was totaly confused for a moment and then I just thought about it. It was it was my birthday! I was shuffled in to the kitchen where there sat my father sitting there with the same glum look on his face. My nine year old sister Elli was running around the kitchen screaming because she burned her hand on the stove. My stomach started to growl and almost as if time was being nice for a second, we were called to eat. As I sat down in my rough ceader chair that is missing 1 leg, mom came dashing out of her room with two presents which was one more than we usually got!