Trichotillomania Masterpost.

There are many mental health problems that are not as well-known and so don't get the same attention as the 'main ones'. One such condition is trichotillomania. I originally wrote this masterpost {first published: 5/01/2017} for trichytalking, the wattpad campaign that specifically raises awareness for this disorder and I've decided to put it up here too, just so more people can see it and learn about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trichotillomania is a body-focused repetitive behaviour where a person feels compelled to pull their hair out

Trichotillomania is a body-focused repetitive behaviour where a person feels compelled to pull their hair out. It is an impulse-control disorder where the sufferer is unable to stop themselves carrying out this particular action.

People with trichotillomania - stylised as "trich" - may pull out the hair on their head, eyebrows, eyelashes or any other place. People with trich will experience an intense urge to pull out hair and tension will grow until they do. After a hair-pulling-session, they may feel a sense of pleasure or relief. Impulse-control disorders are more common amongst teenagers and young adults and trich generally affects girls more than boys, although this may be because women are more likely to seek help. In early childhood, both males and females seem to be affected equally.

The cause of trichotillomania is unclear, but several explanations have been put forward. It is considered as a type of addiction - the more hair you pull out, the more you want to keep doing it. It may also be a form of self-injury, where a person deliberately harms themselves as a way of seeking comfort or relief from psychological or emotional pain. Pulling out hair may be a way to reduce stress or anxiety and is more commonly a reflection of a mental health problem.

In trichotillomania, the bald hair patches are generally an unusual shape and may affect one side more than other.

There has been little medical research into notable treatments for trichotillomania. The most effective treatment is some sort of therapy to change this destructive behaviour as well as making sure the sufferer receives emotional support. Psychotherapy can be used to treat mental health problems and involves discussing issues with a trained therapist. In particular, CBT is a type of psychotherapy that is usually recommended. It helps challenge irrational thoughts and behaviours. CBT often involves behavioural therapy, also known as habit-reversal therapy, which aims to help you change the way you behave - for example, by reducing your hair-pulling behaviour.