Chapter 1

The darkness slowly abated and I heard an annoying beeping sound. I felt my eyes flutter open and light peeped through my eye lids. I slammed them shut because of how bright it was. The beeping started to bug me again so I slowly opened my eyes, squinting at the bright lights above me. I turned and saw that the beeping was a heart monitor from a hospital. Just then a nurse walked in and smiled when she saw that I was awake.

“Glad to see you’re awake, sweetheart. The doctors were beginning to think you wouldn’t wake up.” The nurse had a calming voice.

“Gnjkldgn…?” I mumbled

“Don’t try talking sweetheart; you need to rest your vocal chords. Want to know how long you’ve been out?” She asked kindly

I nodded.

“Okay, you have been unconscious for approximately three years and two days.” She replied.

Wow. That long no wonder I feel so stiff.

“Can … I … water please?” I choked out.

“Of course you can sweetheart. First Can you please tell me your name and date of birth?” She asked me.

“Umm… Third of the eleventh and Sabriella Evans.” I replied quietly.

“Here you are sweetie.” She mumbles quietly, obviously thinking of something else more important than me.

After three weeks of endless chatter and a blossoming friendship I finally ask the question that has been on my mind since I first woke up.

“When will I be able to leave here and go home?” I mumble politely.

“Oh I don’t know sweetheart. Your mama probably thinks that you’re dead so I don’t think it would be wise to go home. The people here at the Hospital will happily put you into a foster home. If that’s what you would rather to being homeless.” She murmurs gently.

Why can’t I stay with you when you seem so nice to me? Because she is probably an evil witch that is only nice to you because it her job. The voice in my head is the only thing that kept my dormant mind company for three years.

“If you want you could come home with me and I will adopt you…” The nurse trails off embarrassed.

“YES!!!” I shout then mumble a quick apology for my outburst.

“Well if I am gonna be your mama then I should tell you that my name is Clara and I have four children that you will meet tomorrow afternoon.” She spoke quickly and resolutely.

“So I get to leave here tomorrow?” I jump excitedly.

“No sweetheart you get to leave today but my children leave early for school and will be in bed by the time we reach my house tonight. “She replies kindly.

Yay! I get to live with this really caring nurse. I wonder if her kids will like me. Of course they won’t. Look at you your ugly and stupid and were unconscious for three years.

“Thank you!!” I smile and sigh happily.

**The Next Day**

“Do you think they will like me??” I mumble.

“Of course sweetheart.” Clara replies firmly.

I don’t believe Clara I mean mum but I will put on a happy face for her. I owe her that much.

I smile and walk through the front door.

“MUM!” “MUMMY!” “Mamma!” “Your back” Screams filled the front room.