Chapter thirteen

"You can't just drag me out of there!" Leo yelled as they darted into the blackened corridor. "Watch me." Beth snapped, still pulling Leo along as she ran. The corridor seemed to go on forever as their footsteps echoed. "Can they find us here?" Beth asked Leo, out of breathe. He nodded, "it's the second door they can't access." There was footsteps behind them, Beth stared at Leo wide eyed. "How do we stop them?" She tried to whisper. "Seal the hole, with your necklace." Beth had forgotten she was still holding it. She handed it to Leo and pushed him forwards. "You go, your faster than me". And she watched him disappear into the black, hoping the footsteps behind her weren't getting any closer.
"Shut the door." Beth skidded into the circular room and heard Leo slam the wooden door shut. She reached up and found the dislodged stone and shoved it back into place, watching the entrance to the tunnel vanish. She leaned on the table that stood in the centre of the room, trying to catch her breathe. "Here." Leo said, handing Beth her necklace. "Oh, thanks." She shoved it into her pocket, never wanting to see it again. Leo pulled out a chair and sat down. "What are we going to do about Charlie?" Beth asked after a long time. "Nothing." Leo's answer was cold. "We can't do nothing." She sat down opposite him. "He's stuck in there Leo, he isn't even a part of this." Leo just laughed. "Well he's made himself a part of this." Beth stared at him, "we didn't know what was back there. I just thought we was going to save you." She ran her hand along the symbol in the table. "I'm sorry, but I just wanted to help you." Leo stood and started to pace back and forth. "Don't worry, he'll be fine." He folded his arms. "They'll give him some tea that will make him forget the last 48 hours. He'll be fine." Leo repeated, Beth just looked at him. "What about you and me, we still remember what's in there?" She gestured to the door that wasn't there anymore. Leo looked away from her as he spoke, "that's what I'm afraid of."
"What are they going to do to us Leo?" Beth asked, standing up and walking towards him. "I'm dead, I'm not a threat." He spoke carefully. "Your alive, they never got.." He trailed off. "The chance to kill me?" Beth finished for him. "Yeah I know, I saw the gravestone, lovely friends you have." She laughed, but it wasn't funny. "My parents weren't dead." Beth shot back when Leo just stared at her. "Your parents were stupid to leave." He snapped. "No, your parents were stupid to stay." Beth leaned against one of the bookshelves, not caring what alarms she set off. Leo shrugged but didn't say another word. "I don't get it, why?" Leo stared at her. "Why my parents? Why your parents?" Beth asked. "It's an organisation made up of the worlds oldest spy and thief families." Leo said. "What was I? What am I?" Beth asked. "A spy, mine are thieves." Leo started for the arched doorway. "Where are you going?" Beth asked, following him. "I'm not staying here any longer than I need to."

Beth watched as Leo paced back and forth. She knew the old crumbling shed he had brought her to only once before, but things seemed so much more different now. "Calm down." She said, as the sky turned an eery shade of yellow and orange. "Calm down?" Leo snapped back. "They'll come for you." Surprisingly the words didn't scare Beth. She had been running for months, chasing time, maybe it was time her luck run out. "Yeah, for me." Beth snapped back, pointing to herself. Leo was about to open his mouth, to speak, to protest but he didn't. A branch snapped behind him and despite everything he jumped, Beth almost laughed. "Ooh, scared of the dark." She teased, he glared at her as if looks could kill. "Having fun are we?" Charlie emerged from the trees. He had leaves in his hair and his clothes were ripped. "Don't you ever leave me like that again." He yelled at Beth, but in an instant Leo was stood in between them. "Don't you talk to her like that." Charlie tried to shove past Leo. "Stay out of this, it's not your problem." At this Beth laughed, "your right, it's not his problem." She stood up. "He is the problem." Beth reached for the necklace in her pocket and dangled it over the fire she and Leo had built. "No!" Leo forgot about Charlie and lunged forward. "Don't do that." He grabbed Beth's arm pulling her and the necklace away from the flames. "Why not?" Beth asked, genuinely annoyed. "That necklace is the only thing that can help us now." Leo said, taking it off Beth. "Not the only thing." Charlie spoke up, edging closer to them. "What?" Leo spun around, glaring at him. "This belonged to my uncle." Charlie held out a keyring. Leo didn't even look at it, "it's just a keyring." He shook his head. "No, look." Beth said. "It's the same symbol." Leo turned and grabbed the object from Charlie's hands now, holding it up to the dimming light in the sky. "I guess." Charlie laughed. "No, it is." He snatched the keyring back. "I know it is because my uncle told me all about that place, and the likes of you."

---
A/N - sorry for the ridiculously short update!

• • •

I hope you enjoyed!

I n s t a g r a m: pengmendes

- Naomi x