Carl

"y/n! Wake up! You can't nap on duty!"

It was my watch for the gate to Alexandria. It's not like I was actually sleeping, just resting my eyes.

"Okay dad" I yelled back down at Carl.

Three months ago when I arrived Carl has been annoying me and calling it "protecting."

"I'll get someone to take your shift if you want" He said back up towards me.

"No I'm good. Sasha will be here in a few." You waved him off.

As he walked away Sasha came for her shift. "Hey kiddo, Rick wants to see you." She ruffled my hair even though I find it patronizing.
I nodded and climbed down from the watch tower.
____________

"Hey Rick." I announce my presence.

"I need you to take Daryl's perimeter watch now."

"Okay..? I'll be off then?" Slightly confused I ran back to your house that I shared with Enid and ran up to your room.

I put my hair in up and out of the way and grabbed my axe and went outside. Finally. A chance to do something helpful.

"y/n, I'm taking over your watch." called Carl as he ran up to me with his stupidly cute face, out of breath.
Can I not get a moment of peace without his nagging?

"You're stupid if you think I'll let you take perimeter watch. I want to pitch in and it's the the best way to prove I'm not a screw up. I know you think I am."

There have been a few incidents where I've lost keys to supply trucks or set the wall on fire by accident. Anything can be flammable if you're stupid enough.

"I don't think you're a screw up." Carl said, I'm slightly shocked and a bit relieved.

"but I do think you need protecting because you're a hot head but that's not it either.."

Sasha opened the gate for us,  while giving us a suggestive look.

"Fine come with me then. Just as long as you let me kill the walkers myself. Deal?"

He hesitated before nodding and agreeing "Fine, deal."
__________

Fifteen minutes and I still haven't been face to face with any walker. I huffed and kicked a nearby rock in frustration. All the pent up anger and no walkers to take it out on.

"Why are you staring at me Carl. Didn't your parents tell you that staring is rude?"

"To be seriously cheesy, you're cute, mad." Carl smiled that dopey smile. Could he stop that.
I guess it's endearing that he cares..

There was a long pause before either of us said anything. It made me too uncomfortable.

"How much does a polar bear weigh?" I blurt.
I slightly cringe, why blurt?

"What?" Carl asked. Confusion sprawled out on his face.

"Enough to break the ice" I chuckle at my own lame joke. Out of awkwardness, you see. It wasn't funny.

"Hey y/n I know you've been here for only three months but I like you."
What's with the sudden confession?

I awkwardly "heh heh" "Thanks. I like you too I guess, even though you're aggravating."

He shook his head grabbed my hand. "No y/n, I really like you. More than a friend.."

Just last week I thought Enid and Carl were together. Is this some sort of ploy?
"Oh? Let's meet tonight at eight. By the pond." I say and ran back to the gates abandoning perimeter watch. Carl did offer already anyway.

Do I reject his cute smiled face? Yeah..it's probably a lie anyway.

Although running off wasn't smart, Abraham will take next watch so as I run in, he should just be leaving. Carl won't be alone long
___________

I got home and had a cold shower, to cool off. Why did I say that? What was my plan? I didn't have one and I didn't have anything properly planned out to say.

Overthinking, I climb out of the shower and wrap a towel around myself. Do I wear something nice?
It's a ploy.
It's just a ploy.
I tell myself over and over again.
but what if it's not?
___________

It was exactly eight and I sat on a bench with my hair tucked behind my ear, black and dirty shoes on my feet. Nothing about this screamed not a ploy.

"Hey y/n/n." Carl came up behind me making me forget how to breathe. Unexpectedly on time.

"Hi Carl" I took a sharp breath in ready to take the leap of faith...while in the dark for coverage. "I need you to answer this question with honesty. Please." My please came out in a small voice.

"Alright?" Carl said with a question mark at the end of his sentence.

"Do you like Enid or me." I had done it, asked the question that I've been dying to ask for hours.

Carl stopped to think for a moment.
wow.

"Okay I see how it is" I had gotten up thinking Carl liked Enid instead of me. Rightfully so too. If you have to stop to think about which person you like you don't like either.

"Wait! I told you earlier that I liked you and I meant it. Yes, Enid and I kissed and at the time I thought it meant something to me but then I saw you and I haven't been thinking about anyone else since."

"Are you positive you like me?" I asked half jokingly.

"y/n, you are so kindhearted. I could shout at the top of my lungs all the things I like about you."

"Please don't..."

"y/n, I have about 11 reasons to kiss you right now and I could tell you all of them right now but I'd rather just do this." Carl trailed off and stepped closer.

Carl kissed me under the starry night sky and the kiss lassted what felt like forever, it was passionate and Carl's lips were soft. When we finally pulled away he asked, all breathy to be his and of course I said yes.

This took a long time so I hope you all had a good time reading it. This is my first time writing fanfiction.