The Best Thing (Percabeth) 🌶

Mortal AU, in which Percy and Annabeth break up, but Percy can't seem to get over his ex-girlfriend. Don't worry! There's a happy Percabeth ending. No smut, but a heated make out session.

Annabeth Chase was the best thing that had ever happened to me. And I let her slip away from me. Standing by the shoreline, surfboard in hand, I attempted to divert my attention from Annabeth's giggling. Of course, she decided to bring her new boyfriend to the very place that was special to us - just to metaphorically stab me in the heart another time.

Nowadays, the only person I talked to was Leo Valdez, my fellow heartbroken best friend. He'd been recently cheated on by Calypso, his previous girlfriend. At least someone understood. (AN: Sorry for my Liper-shipping self.) And he didn't ask questions or drag me out of the house, because he knew he wouldn't want those things to happen to him. That was the way I liked it. I shot Annabeth a wistful glance, that she avoided. In order to prevent any further humiliation, I ran into the waves, hoping to forget for a while.

An hour later, I made my way back to shore, and nibbled on a bag of chips, waiting for the sunset. "I knew it! You're still in love with him!" hollered an unfamiliar man's voice, causing me to turn my head to observe the commotion. The man happened to Annabeth's new boyfriend.

"Don't blame me!" Annabeth screeched back. "At least he truly cared about me." For some reason, I felt like she was talking about me. "He was the only reason I ever smiled around you. I brought you here because this was my special place - to go with him." She was tearing up now. "Of course I still love him." I felt my eyes watering, and a single tear slipping down my cheek. I was sure she was talking about me now. I got up, placing the packet of chips on my towel, and approached her. "P-Percy?"

"Hey."

"Fine then, we're done!" Annabeth's boyfriend screamed back.

"Good!" she replied, then turned back to me, as he stormed off in a huff. "How have you been doing?"

"Without you?" I inquired. "Definitely not so well. First time out of the house this week."

She smiled weakly. "You're the only thing on my mind. I can't concentrate anymore."

" How could you still care about me? After all I've done to you?"

"If I knew, I'd tell you, Seaweed Brain."

I grinned at the idea of being called my old nickname. "I thought you were the wise one."

"I don't know everything, Kelp Head."

"Good to know, Owl Face."

"So what now?"

"I have no idea. I was never the smart one."

"Just because you don't have phenomenal grades doesn't me you're not smart, Jackson."

"Thanks, Chase."

"I feel so stupid, forgiving you right now."

"I feel so stupid for the fact I can't get over you."

"What should I do?"

"I have a biased opinion, so you shouldn't ask me."

"I missed you."

"Same here."

"So..."

Annabeth looked at me questioningly. "So what?"

"How'd you react if I asked you out again?"

"I'd love you to."

Taking a deep breath, and beaming, I asked, "Annabeth Chase, will you be my girlfriend again? Is this awkward?"

She shook her head while smiling. "It's fine. But you're such a dork."

"But I'm your dork."

"Yup."

"I love you, nerd."

"I love you, dork."

"Sunset's in a few minutes. And everyone's relocated to the pier..."

"So we have the beach to ourselves, essentially."

"Yeah."

"Cool. Can I have a Dorito?"

"Anything for you," I answered, handing her the bag. We sat there in silence for about five minutes, watching as the sun went down, the waves crashing and the distant chatter of others was all we could hear. In the moment of plain peace, I reached for her hand. She seemed more than happy to hold mine, and leaned her head on my shoulder.

"You seem thinner," Annabeth stated.

"I haven't been eating much lately."

"Why not?"

"Somedays, I just don't feel good enough to get out of bed."

She kissed me on the cheek. "You're so cute. That's all I can say."

"So are you, Wise Girl."

"I think we should go to dinner."

"Like a date?"

"Yeah. We're back together now, right?"

"Annabeth?"

"Yeah?"

"Um..."

"What?"

"Can I have a kiss? For old times sake?"

"I love you too much to reject you, so sure." I grinned, as she leaned in, and slowly pressed her lips to mine. They lingered there for a moment as I returned the kiss. She pulled away, then kissed me again, harder and more desperate this time. I lifted her up onto my lap, and she wrapped her legs around my waist. I gnawed at her lip, and she relocated her lips to my neck. About a minute later, we pulled apart, both giggling nervously.

"That was, um, nice," I said, scratching the back of my neck awkwardly.

"I agree. Wanna go to dinner now?"

"Of course."

"I love you, Wise Girl."

"I love you, too Seaweed Brain. You're giving me a ride home, right?"

"You wanna stay at my place for the night?"

"That would be awesome." Fighting the urge to kiss her again, I took her hand again, and we headed off into the sunset for a meal.