The Sun's Moon

okay... this is written by my little sister Gracie. be nice please because shes only 8. if you say anything mean thats not constructive i'll report it.

Chandra Archer sat alone atop of a brick wall, humming quietly to himself. He recognised the tune, though he couldn’t identify what song it was. Probably another one of the preppy boyband numbers his little sister Summer loved so much. Chandra glanced around and sighed. He couldn’t see anyone he recognised among the faces swarming in the town centre, even though his entire class had been chattering excitedly about the festival for months, just as they always did. He jumped down from the wall, bending his knees and throwing his hands out in front of him to try and cushion his fall. He winced as the tarmac tore at his skin. He stuck his hands back into the pockets of his hoodie and began to walk away from the crowd. He was a solitary boy, and prefered to be alone in a woodland at night to being in the middle of a festival celebrating the sun, surrounded by people who didn’t care for him.

He glared at the harsh sunlight for a moment, then tutted and flipped up his hood and pulled the drawstrings a little so that his face was concealed. Not that it made any difference. If anyone from his school was around, they would recognise his clothes. He slouched over and made his way slowly through the streets, down winding back alleys and across private land. No one bothered him, and he was thankful. He needed to be alone.

Focussing on his own thoughts to block out the sounds of giggles and cheerful chatter from everyone he passed, he let a small smile find its way onto his face when he saw the forest ahead of him. He wasn’t sure why, but he’d always felt more comfortable around the birds and squirrels that lived in the forest than around other humans. Maybe it was because the animals didn’t judge him based on his appearance or interests, but based on who he was as a person. Or maybe it was because he could tell them anything and be sure that they wouldn’t share his secrets with anyone else. Humans had proven themselves to be horrible and not the slightest bit trustworthy. Chandra sighed. Maybe if he’d been more like his family, more like the rest of the villagers, he wouldn’t have had to spend his time talking to no one but the squirrels. Or maybe, if he had been born somewhere normal rather than a town full of sun-worshipping hippies, he wouldn’t be so lonely. Chandra sighed once again and he sat down, leaning against a tree, and closed his eyes. He felt the weight of a young squirrel on his shoulder and smiled slightly as he drifted off into a tortured sleep.