Chapter 1

Present Day

I look down at the carpeted floor beneath me. My palms are getting sweaty and my right starts to twitch, a nervous habit I've acquired over the years. I know the man in front of me is getting impatient; he needs me as much as I need him. Apparently, Nora wasn't the only one that was taken that night.

The man in front of me, Eli, approached me two nights ago. When he proposed his idea I pretended like I thought he was crazy but I knew he wasn't. I remembered his face from the camp they took us to. Him along with another guy were tied to some kind of post; I thought he was dead. I guess he found a way to escape just like me.

Eli asked me to tell him my story, he said it may help find both of our friends; if they are even still alive. He said his story was missing a few key bits and pieces because they gave him some kind of drug; that's why he never was able to go back. I could never bring myself to go back nor could I tell anyone. Everybody would think I was insane, I would be locked up in the looney bin forever.

I cleared my throat, "It all began twelve years ago."

12 Years Ago

The cold December air gave me goose bumps. I was only wearing jeans and a thin jacket. At least I wasn't wearing what Nora was wearing. She was wearing a short black dress and a light cardigan; she must've been freezing.

Nora's third boyfriend this month dumped her an hour ago. We repeated the same ritual each time this happened; we would walk in the woods behind our school for hours.

Little did I know this would be our last time.

"I'm sorry Em, this must be getting annoying," she said out of the blue.

I shook my head at her, "Never. This is what best friends are for."

She smiled at me and we both continued walking deeper into the forest. This was the deepest we ever went and the deepest we would ever go. 

A branch crunched in the distance and we both came to a stop. Footsteps, loud footsteps, could be heard. They were getting closer. Nora and I shared a look and with that we both took off deeper into the forest.

We dodged trees and fallen limbs as we ran full force from the mysterious footsteps. This forest was private property and those footsteps were too loud to be an animal. I figured we were both running from the cops but I have never been more wrong in my entire life.

The footsteps grew louder and we both ran faster until I heard a louder snap and Nora was gone. Seconds later came a scream. I came to an abrupt stop and looked around frantically for her. She was nowhere to be seen; thousands of horrible scenarios flashed through my mind.

Another ear shattering scream came from a couple feet away from me and, if on cue, I ran over there as fast as I could.

Lying sprawled out in a huge hole was Nora. She was holding her now bloody leg up to her chest, I could see the bone sticking out of it. I reached my hand down for her to take, hoping she would be able to. Thankfully she was but I didn't have enough time to pull her up before we both heard this frightening howl echo from the darkness.

I looked up and there in the distance were two red glowing orbs staring directly at me.

My life as I knew it was over forever.